Hampton HI300 sweep from inside of house up?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I remove the tubes and the two bricks from roof of inside of insert and push the rod up to clean? It appears to be a straight shot with a small curve at old damper that was removed.

woodsie8 said:
Can I remove the tubes and the two bricks from roof of inside of insert and push the rod up to clean? It appears to be a straight shot with a small curve at old damper that was removed.

I would think you would want to remove the tubes and baffles and the shut the door. Now go to the roof and push the brush down all the way and back up three/four times. This way the creosote will fall into the stove. Let is settle for a while and now you can clean up the black powder in your stove. If you do it from the inside, i would think you would be getting black dust everywhere because the stove door would be open.

stejus said:
woodsie8 said:

I would think you would want to remove the tubes and baffles and the shut the door. Now go to the roof and push the brush down all the way and back up three/four times. This way the creosote will fall into the stove. Let is settle for a while and now you can clean up the black powder in your stove. If you do it from the inside, i would think you would be getting black dust everywhere because the stove door would be open.
X2. You can, however sweep from the bottom, but you need to control the dust. You can use a good shop vac with a HEPA or Drywall filter. Just leave the vac running an lay the hose inside the firebox while you are sweeping. And brush SLOWLY.

I did mine from the top down. I didn't remove the tubes or baffles. I tried to get the baffles out but they were acting like a Rubiks Cube. %-P

I moved one baffle onto the other and then swept it. After letting it settle for a short while I shoveled up the mess. (small mess). Put the baffles back in place and that was that.

Reactions: Ap742
Status
Not open for further replies.