Hand Tools

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Srbenda

Burning Hunk
Dec 27, 2009
PA Horse Country
Burning wood isn't a machine powered kinda thing. Sure, there's chain saws, there are wood splitters, and other equipment that help, but if you had to, you could still do everything you need to with only hand tools. So, how about posting some pictures of your wood related handtools. I'm thinking about getting a crosscut saw, so I'd love to see and hear some comments about them.

Otherwise, here are my three "axes".

A big-box regular axe, a Plumb antique hatchet, and a Gransfors-Bruks splitting axe.

What have ya got?

i-9jtTd6T-L.jpg

Broad axes and hatchets:
IMG_1302.jpg

Felling axe made by local company in mid 1800s:
IMG_0614.jpg

1 man x-cut:
P4010026.jpg

2 man x-cut:
P4010027.jpg

I don't think I have any pics of any other processing stuff like the peavey. I used to have a pic of my wife swinging a maul, but didn't see that one loaded on photobucket.

I'm an admitted handtool junkie.

Matt

you guys.
i LOVE this thread.

EatenByLimestone said:
Broad axes and hatchets:
IMG_1302.jpg

Felling axe made by local company in mid 1800s:
IMG_0614.jpg

1 man x-cut:
P4010026.jpg

2 man x-cut:
P4010027.jpg

I don't think I have any pics of any other processing stuff like the peavey. I used to have a pic of my wife swinging a maul, but didn't see that one loaded on photobucket.

I'm an admitted handtool junkie.

Matt

These are awesome. I need to add a broad axe to my list.

Awesome tools, The broad axes are actually used for splitting boards. I have 2 saws similar to yours hanging up behind my stove, looks good pulls it all together

Jeff

Broad Axes are used in shaping beams & large timbers from logs.You chop in shallow notches every foot or so with a regular axe or hatchet that has 2 beveled edges,then use broad axe or broad hatchet to remove the waste in between,shaving the sides flat.

Broad Axe or Hatchet have a single bevel head,they can be reversed to be used either for a left-handed or right handed person.Plus for best use the handles are slightly 'bent' or offset,to avoid skinning your knuckles against the work.

Thistle said:
Broad Axes are used in shaping beams & large timbers from logs.You chop in shallow notches every foot or so with a regular axe or hatchet that has 2 beveled edges,then use broad axe or broad hatchet to remove the waste in between,shaving the sides flat.

Broad Axe or Hatchet have a single bevel head,they can be reversed to be used either for a left-handed or right handed person.Plus for best use the handles are slightly 'bent' or offset,to avoid skinning your knuckles against the work.

Stop yer yappin', Thistle, we want to see some pics of your awesome tool collection. :lol:

EatenByLimestone said:
No adz?

Maybe I need to go get a shot of mine....

Matt

I had an adze, with a curved blade, but I found it very difficult to work with, and since I wasn't planning on making wooden gutters, or a canoe, I really had no need for it. I would like a flat-bladed adze though.

Srbenda said:
Burning wood isn't a machine powered kinda thing. Sure, there's chain saws, there are wood splitters, and other equipment that help, but if you had to, you could still do everything you need to with only hand tools. So, how about posting some pictures of your wood related handtools. I'm thinking about getting a crosscut saw, so I'd love to see and hear some comments about them.

A big-box regular axe, a Plumb antique hatchet, and a Gransfors-Bruks splitting axe.

What have ya got?

i-9jtTd6T-L.jpg

Did your Gransfors handle come with those grooves or did you put them in?

trailmaker said:
Srbenda said:

What have ya got?

i-9jtTd6T-L.jpg

Did your Gransfors handle come with those grooves or did you put them in?

The grooves are not very visible in person, but they did come with them, I did not add them.

trailmaker said:
Here are a few of mine.
IMG_1885.jpg

For some reason I keep picturing these belonging to a World of Warcraft dwarf. :)

firefighterjake said:
trailmaker said:
Here are a few of mine.
IMG_1885.jpg

For some reason I keep picturing these belonging to a World of Warcraft dwarf. :)

Lol I can see that. These European hewing axes do look a bit like battle axes.

Status
Not open for further replies.