Handheld GPS for hiking/Mt Biking?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daveswoodhauler

Minister of Fire
May 20, 2008
Massachusetts
Looking to see if anyone has any rec's on a good handheld unit for hiking?

Basically, I had a Garmin Legend, and it died....so I was looking to get a new unit.
I was looking for a basic model with topo type maps, and was trying to find one that after a trip I could download to my PC and review on a topomap.
Just need the basic stuff...don't need it to take pictures, get weather, or any of that crap....just a decent map that is durable.

I have miles and miles of trails behind my house, and had a close call on Sunday as I almost missed my turn on the way back, and might have been out there for a while?

If you want a very good GPS and have interest in hiking, bushwacking, etc, the Garmin 60CSX or the currently flavor is a very good GPS, waterproof (IPX 7 I believe), has a barometric altimeter, excellent satellite pickup and supports Garmin's MapSource, topo data that you can upload to the GPS. One downside is that you have to use Garmin's topo program, and not basic USGS quads and the like. (They maps are usually good and good enough for most hobbies anyway). Garmin does sell a bike mount for it as an extra accessory. Some of them have a basemap of North America, county level roads and up, but not like a road GPS like a nuvi.... Some of the models in this line support removable media... not that important if you just want to go out your back yard and return...

A basic handheld can be had for a bit cheaper, if position is all you need, maybe elevation is not important. A Garmin Etrex series is generally cheaper as your Legend was a somewhat middle end model in that line. Probably something in the Etrex line would suit you fine, save the money, but that choice is up to you... The higher end Etrex will have compass/altimeter and more features...

my 2 cents...

Jay

I have the cheapest Garmin eTrex and I never recommend it to anyone.
No L/L readout unles you go to save as a waypoint, kind of a pain in the arse.

I've given it away twice and it gets given back. :)

Thanks for the info folks.
I actually liked my Etrex Legend, but the freakin unit stopped turning on....took it apart, and made a little progress, but it wont turn on anymore....its about 10 years old.
I haven't had the greatest of luck with service from Garmin, so I was looking to check out another mfg....I'll check out the website links....thanks,

The chip sets have improved significantly over the years and the Garmins have a good rep. Make sure you get a WAAS enabled unit. They unfortunatey are "throw away" once they get out of warrantee.

I bought the DeLorme PN-30 last fall, WASS enabled. Comes with mapping software + can download maps for specific area use. Based on my use for forestry, plus prior wilderness experience, it should work very well for back-country hiking, backpacking, wilderness canoeing, etc.

I researched GPS primarily for forestry-related uses, and this one scored well. I have not used others, so I can't compare, but I am very satisfied. An almost immediate benefit was the ability to locate one of our property lines. Also, by logging coordinates on Google Maps you have another whole world of opportunity to do creative outdoor adventuring. The one feature it does not have is automatic area calculation. You have to go through a couple of steps to do an area calc.

I own two Magellan GPSrs which I use for sledding, ATVing and geocaching . . . but honestly if I was to buy a GPSr today I would go with a Garmin Oregon . . . great maps, the touch screen makes things wicked easy to use and setting up this GPSr is incredibly easy . . . one of the best GPSrs I have ever seen or used.

for basic hiking and biking I love my E-Trex.

billb3 said:
I have the cheapest Garmin eTrex and I never recommend it to anyone.
No L/L readout unles you go to save as a waypoint, kind of a pain in the arse.

I've given it away twice and it gets given back. :)

Yes, unless all you want to do is get back to your car, I'd avoid the lowest of the low etrex's. They will get you back to a spot that you have waypointed (aka, your starting point, be that car or house) but not much other features...

jebatty said:
I bought the DeLorme PN-30 last fall, WASS enabled. Comes with mapping software + can download maps for specific area use. Based on my use for forestry, plus prior wilderness experience, it should work very well for back-country hiking, backpacking, wilderness canoeing, etc.

I researched GPS primarily for forestry-related uses, and this one scored well. I have not used others, so I can't compare, but I am very satisfied. An almost immediate benefit was the ability to locate one of our property lines. Also, by logging coordinates on Google Maps you have another whole world of opportunity to do creative outdoor adventuring. The one feature it does not have is automatic area calculation. You have to go through a couple of steps to do an area calc.

One very nice feature of the Delormes is their ability to upload USGS Quads to the unit, unlike Garmin where you have to use MapSource.

I have some qualms with Garmin customer service and their flat fee repair policy but their products are generally good such that I still buy them.

Jay

Well, I picked up the Delorme PN 20 a few weeks ago, and I am very very happy with it. Bought it for $160 and it included the maps software.
One very cool thing about it is that after you are done with a track and waypoints, you can download them all to the mapping software to get a good picture of where you went. I have miles and miles of trails behind my house, so I am startingmaking maps and labeling trails for snowshoeing and mt biking....easy loops, med loops, longer routes, etc....The PN 30 had a few more extras, but I was able to pick up the GPS and bike mount for about $190...and I wanted to stay under $200
Thanks for the folks that pointed me to Delorme....like it a lot better than my previous etrex.

Status
Not open for further replies.