Happiness is a well stocked wood pile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

par0thead151

Feeling the Heat
Jul 26, 2009
south eastern wisconsin
well this year i decided to move a good chunk of wood into my garage before the snow starts flying here in WI.
i have more to move in, as i want the garage stuffed by the time it gets more difficult to get to my stash.
right now i have 2 full rows of 8'X7' and 2/3 of a row stacked in a pyramid. i am going to build another cage so i can go the full 7' high with the next two rows, for a total of four rows.
mostly ash and red elm in the piles there.
howd i do?

url]

Looks great.
You are gonna like having it there on the snowy winter days. :)
Are you going to split in there, swing clearance overhead is minimum. (I see the maul) :)

bogydave said:
Looks great.
You are gonna like having it there on the snowy winter days. :)
Are you going to split in there, swing clearance overhead is minimum. (I see the maul) :)

yes i split them in there. the rounds are fairly dry as it was a standing dead tree and the stuff i did not split were towards the top of the tree.
the clearance works. just barley for swinging the maul.

thats awesome..wish i could store that much inside

money in the bank. how do you like that enviro? whats the good and not so good?

maxed_out said:
money in the bank. how do you like that enviro? whats the good and not so good?

the good: it throws out a LOT of heat for being a "medium sized" unit.
It is rock solid thus far
it has fairly long burn times. i can get 10+ hours with there being a good amount of coals left in there to stoke a new fire
It is one of the very FEW that are rated for Zero clearance fireplaces/
my dog(great dane) now loves me for adding this beautiful source of heat

cons:
has those thin waffle type baffle on top of the secondaries. i wish it was like the older jotuls that have ceramic or steel.
smaller fire box, but i this is the absolute largest insert that can fit in my ZC fireplace.
it keeps me very busy cutting splitting and stacking wood

When I saw those rounds I figured right away they were elm. Burns good that way. You'll like having the wood dry when you get it and not having to fight the snow. We started putting 3 cord of wood in the barn last winter and it definitely is nice.

Backwoods Savage said:
When I saw those rounds I figured right away they were elm. Burns good that way. You'll like having the wood dry when you get it and not having to fight the snow. We started putting 3 cord of wood in the barn last winter and it definitely is nice.

im even considering parking the car outside and putting a winters worth in there.
but we shall see how this winter goes. my wood is fairly easy to get to, sans any epic snowfalls

We put up the barn last year and do park the car inside. However we are also considering a carport for the car because, as usual, the barn should have been bigger. lol I have one corner that I stack 3 cord of wood in and that will last us through the winter.

Looks good - I think that would be about 3-4 weeks of burning for me, perhaps a little longer. I do a similar thing - I stack 5 cord in the barn in October, then every 3 weeks, I take a Friday afternoon, hang out with my good buddy John Molson, and load about 3 weeks worth into a room off my attached garage. Short haul to the stove and nothing but dry wood. Cheers!

NH_Wood said:
Looks good - I think that would be about 3-4 weeks of burning for me, perhaps a little longer. I do a similar thing - I stack 5 cord in the barn in October, then every 3 weeks, I take a Friday afternoon, hang out with my good buddy John Molson, and load about 3 weeks worth into a room off my attached garage. Short haul to the stove and nothing but dry wood. Cheers!

im crossing my fingers that this lasts me a month and a half.
we shall see though. this year i have been keeping track of my wood as i take it into the garage. height of pile added, type of wood and date

wonder how your wife is going to like going out every morning to clean her vehicle off LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.