Happy Holidays ! ( and a Shop vac question )

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleAnthony

Jan 19, 2009
Southern Maine
First - Happy holidays to all , and may the new year be bright for everyone !

Second - Got a 5.5hp shop vac with Hepa filter for a present to vacuum stove.

Do I need high efficiency bags also or is this overkill ?

Thanks ,
Stay warm !

I use a shop vac I bought at lowes, and I use a fine filtered ( drywall ) bag. No dust / ash comes out.

UncleAnthony said:
First - Happy holidays to all , and may the new year be bright for everyone !

Second - Got a 5.5hp shop vac with Hepa filter for a present to vacuum stove.

Do I need high efficiency bags also or is this overkill ?

Thanks ,
Stay warm !

Hepa is all you need.

Another vote for the shop vac w/hepa filter. Been using mine for years now. Hepa has been going for 3 straight seasons before its time for a new one. Just tap out the ash on a hard surface outside and she good to go again!

Happy Holidays!

j-takeman said:
.....Hepa has been going for 3 straight seasons before its time for a new one. Just tap out the ash on a hard surface outside and she good to go again!....

Many of them can be washed out with water, dried, and are like new again. I'm going on 3 seasons with mine, and it works like new.

I have a Craftsman (Sears) 6 gal shop vac that I put an ash filter on. Works great, beat it out once so far this season. When you knock all the caked on dust out, re-install the filter and run it outside if you can (life lesson) No special ash vac is needed to clean out your stove! This set-up works great. HEPA should work fine.

I just use a little hang up shop vac mini with the paper filter. It's a little dusty to dump the vac out but it works fine enough.

Just saw this on ebay.....seems like a nice little unit. Comes w/ washable HEPA filter.

BTW, the forum isn't allowing any links to eBay now (says it's spam), so here's the item # for eBay: 290515789005

EDIT: As Jay and BobMac mention below, much better prices on this same unit at Menards and Amazon.com. Forget buying it on eBay....rip-off price

imacman said:
Just saw this on ebay.....seems like a nice little unit. Comes w/ washable HEPA filter.

BTW, the forum isn't allowing any links to eBay now (says it's spam), so here's the item # for eBay: 290515789005

I have been checking that one out and found it cheaper on Amazon.com for 69 bucks

Can't link due to site saying SPAM! So you will need to search for Cleva Vacuum or Cleva ash vac.

Looks like Pete and I are spammers. %-P

thanks to everyone for the replies. i will run the vac with only hepa filter then.
thanks again !

I too used a Craftsman 6hp vac with the fine dust filter.I then bought the Loveless ash vac.I have to admit,ash is all it can pick up.I agree with the rest,you should be fine.

Just purchased the ash vac from Menards. $50.00 on sale. Seems to have plenty of power and works fine. And I almost ordered the other ash vacuum for over 200.00.

Status
Not open for further replies.