Hard at work...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Got Wood

Minister of Fire
Oct 22, 2008
Dutchess Cty, NY
Spent some time on a sunny Sunday morning splitting up some cherry... as you can see I was working very hard!

Attachments

• DSC01701W.jpg
    DSC01701W.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 590
  • DSC01704W.jpg
    DSC01704W.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 593
Looks good. You split the same as I do. Why stand and bend when you can sit and relax?

Backwoods Savage said:
... Why stand and bend when you can sit and relax?

For exercise, which you can get even more of by swinging an axe at those rounds.

Backwoods Savage said:
Looks good. You split the same as I do. Why stand and bend when you can sit and relax?

I do not have to bend at all when using the splitter in horizontal mode. As for standing, I sit all week at work. Who wants to sit on the weekends...

I too sit all week but do prefer the vertical splitting mode. Its so much easier on the back .... and if the back goes so does everything else. I also love to manually split, it is great exercise for the body and brain....but beats the heck out of my shoulder to a point I was risking damage. I still do split some manually, cause I like it. Get plenty of exercise bucking, moving and stacking.

For exercise, which you can get even more of by swinging an axe at those rounds.

After a time you may also find that swinging that axe is not as easy as it once was. I use a hydraulic splitter only because I have to. Physical problems sometimes cause you to make concessions.

I do not have to bend at all when using the splitter in horizontal mode. As for standing, I sit all week at work. Who wants to sit on the weekends…

Perhaps you have a different method of getting those logs onto the horizontal splitter but if I do it then I have to pick up a log to place it on the splitter. I don't have an automatic loader on my splitter, therefore, I do not lift the logs.

Who wants to sit on the weekends? Me. Standing can be very painful, therefore I sit. The same goes for lifting.

Got Wood said:
Spent some time on a sunny Sunday morning splitting up some cherry... as you can see I was working very hard!

How many cords do you have?

BrowningBAR said:
Got Wood said:

How many cords do you have?

I haven't taken out the tape measure recently to give you an exact number but I have approx 15 cord stacked up now and just getting into the wood processing season which for me is Oct - April. My goal was to have 15 cord stacked by end of April so now I just have to keep up with what I burn (last year was my first year burning and I went through 5 cord). I suspect I will beat my goal easily. Yes, I am obsessed

Man, you look like you're just asking to take a potentially dangerous shot to the crown jewels (and or major arteries) by sitting like that while splitting! I'm sure you could go many years working like that and not have an accident (I'm sure Dennis will pipe up here), but man does that look at least somewhat dangerous to me... Not to mention it looks like a lot of work getting up and down, plus moving logs to that low position (moving the splitter seems like it would be even more of a PITA!) I've tried it few times and no thank you! Then again, looking at the design of the splitter, it looks like it would be too low in the horizontal position to comfortably work, not to mention it seems to lack a production table... so maybe you are using it in the easiest manor based on its design. Even so, it still looks dangerous to me to be sitting like that. Please be careful!

Thanks for the concern. When I have a piece that appears to have the potential to "pop" I certainly cover up the jewels! Point taken though. To me, the most dangerous potential for injury while splitting in your hands and doing it in vertical mode seems easier to keep them out of the way.

Moving the splitter is easy. The way I am set up now is I have the rounds all stacked up (see picture 1) - I set the splitter in a position towards the end of the row. I pull off rounds (small diameter on top) to split, most of the time while sitting thus no "up and down". When I have worked my way far enough to not be able to reach I may either stand up for a min and drop a few near the splitting area and continue splitting or shut off the splitter and stack what I split, then move the splitter a few feet and start again.

Backwoods Savage said:
Looks good. You split the same as I do. Why stand and bend when you can sit and relax and let the wife do the work?

fixed it for you. :coolsmile:

myzamboni said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Looks good. You split the same as I do. Why stand and bend when you can sit and relax and let the wife do the work?

fixed it for you. :coolsmile:

lol. You have the idea.

Wet1 said:
Man, you look like you're just asking to take a potentially dangerous shot to the crown jewels (and or major arteries) by sitting like that while splitting! I'm sure you could go many years working like that and not have an accident (I'm sure Dennis will pipe up here), but man does that look at least somewhat dangerous to me... Not to mention it looks like a lot of work getting up and down, plus moving logs to that low position (moving the splitter seems like it would be even more of a PITA!) I've tried it few times and no thank you! Then again, looking at the design of the splitter, it looks like it would be too low in the horizontal position to comfortably work, not to mention it seems to lack a production table... so maybe you are using it in the easiest manor based on its design. Even so, it still looks dangerous to me to be sitting like that. Please be careful!

Wet1 and to others. I know what the manual says on how you should split and perhaps to you it does look dangerous, especially for the family jewels. Believe me or not, it is not dangerous at all.

Those who have thought it dangerous are the ones who worry because sometimes with some wood a split can go flying. However, I have never seen a piece go flying backwards; they always fly sideways. So all you have to be careful with is that right leg. Also, the only time I've had a split fly sideways was when I was making some kindling (before I learned the best way). Now it has been a long, long time; many, many moons since I've had any split fly.

Now for the getting up and down. You do not have to get up and down very much at all. You can split a long time just by reaching out with the left hand and then rolling the log to you. Yes, I do move the splitter when I run out of wood and moving the splitter a few feet is much easier than lifting every piece of wood up onto the splitter in a horizontal position. Also, my "production table" is Mother Earth.

No, I don't wear a cup! lol As stated, it is not needed.

Splitting wood as I do is the easiest way to do it. I have to do it the easiest way possible due to some physical problems and this way is simple, easy and quick. If someone wants to speed things up more, have a helper keep some logs right next to you and you can sit and split for hours or until you run out of gas.

Backwoods Savage said:
Wet1 said:

Wet1 and to others. I know what the manual says on how you should split and perhaps to you it does look dangerous, especially for the family jewels. Believe me or not, it is not dangerous at all.

Those who have thought it dangerous are the ones who worry because sometimes with some wood a split can go flying. However, I have never seen a piece go flying backwards; they always fly sideways. So all you have to be careful with is that right leg. Also, the only time I've had a split fly sideways was when I was making some kindling (before I learned the best way). Now it has been a long, long time; many, many moons since I've had any split fly.

Now for the getting up and down. You do not have to get up and down very much at all. You can split a long time just by reaching out with the left hand and then rolling the log to you. Yes, I do move the splitter when I run out of wood and moving the splitter a few feet is much easier than lifting every piece of wood up onto the splitter in a horizontal position. Also, my "production table" is Mother Earth.

No, I don't wear a cup! lol As stated, it is not needed.

Splitting wood as I do is the easiest way to do it. I have to do it the easiest way possible due to some physical problems and this way is simple, easy and quick. If someone wants to speed things up more, have a helper keep some logs right next to you and you can sit and split for hours or until you run out of gas.
Dennis,

Sitting like that is somewhat dangerous, period. Just because you haven't been bit, yet, doesn't make it safe. If pieces are kicking out to the sides, it's only a matter of time before something kicks towards you. Nor would I find it ergonomic and certainly not the easiest way to do it, but your disabilities/injuries, wood, and splitter are different from mine. So on this topic, I think we are going to have to agree to disagree, because I don't necessarily buy any of what you said. But to each his own and I wish you the best of luck and safe splitting going forward. Please be careful...

Wet, with all due respect, I still say that I have never seen a piece of wood fly any direction other than sideways. That is the reason I do not stand on the side.

I'll think of you lifting every piece when I am sitting there splitting! lol

CTwoodburner said:
Backwoods Savage said:

I do not have to bend at all when using the splitter in horizontal mode. As for standing, I sit all week at work. Who wants to sit on the weekends...

+10.

I find that there is more work in moving the rounds to the block and moving splits away from the block than there is in splitting them (I am talking about splitting by hand). It seems to me that with a splitter, you would still have the problem of moving the rounds to the splitter and moving the splits away. How do you reach the rounds while sitting? It seems like you could store only a small pile of rounds within easy reach. How do you move the split pieces away? I can't understand how you could easily do that while sittting, either. I have never used a power splitter, but I can't see how the logistics of moving wood allow you to sit for more than a few minutes while splitting.

Moving splits away is pretty easy, I simply toss them to the opposite side making a pile. Your point about how much you can have within reach is fair although its no different splitting one way or another. What I do is "set up" a bunch of rounds within reach before starting, once I get through those I usually stand up and "move/drop/roll" the next set within reach then split those. Do that maybe a couple times, then I stop - stack and continue on.
I certainly manuever the wood with ALOT less effort than when I split by hand - I never tried the tire trick but I seemed to be "resetting" the round for splitting frequently doing by hand.
I guess another factor for me I dont treat the work like a race, I work at a steady pace and get done what I feel like doing that session. I work out of a home office and take advantage of a 1/2 hour here and there running out for a short session. Gets me some fresh air and the work gets done.

I always stand behind the (vertical-mode) rental splitter when I use it. I have had splits "pop" in numerous directions, but even if they fly backwards, they'd be stopped by the ram before they hit me. I was hit (hard) on the leg once by a piece of flying euclyptus. It didn't pop or explode, it slipped off the ram of a hortizontal splitter. Last time I stood or sat anywhere but BEHIND the machine when splitting with hydraulics.

I've also had splits pop when using an ax or maul, but never straight back at me. I always make sure there's no one within 20 ft or so of me before I swing. I've also "lost" the ax / maul a couple times when splitting. Another good reason to have a safety-zone.

Peace,
- Sequoia

Status
Not open for further replies.