Hard Maple Cut to 15 inches taking off!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
I cut the hard maple down to 15 inches so I could load N/S in the Liberty, 3 splits on the bottom and 2 small splits on top. I started the fire and had good coals from about six splits of cherry.

Zap

Attachments

• 100_0361.jpg
    100_0361.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 659
dat's weird to see the ends of the splits. I have to make mine just under a foot to get that to work.

did it go up quicker loaded that way? shorter burn time, more even or less even front to back burn?

Nice looking fire! It would be cool if you showed your fire from a full over night load and than a picture first thing in the morning? North south loading is the ticket! Merry Christmas

I've always wondered why Lopi didn't make the Liberty with a more square fire box so you could load it either N/S or E/W with 18" splits? Are those 15" splits right up against the glass or do you have a little more room? I think Lopi is in the top 2 when it comes to steel stoves with that stout construction and bypass.

zapny said:
I cut the hard maple down to 15 inches so I could load N/S in the Liberty, 3 splits on the bottom and 2 small splits on top. I started the fire and had good coals from about six splits of cherry.

Zap

My B-I-L has that stove and I like it alot.. They like it so much they bought another one and also the endeavor for the new home they built in NH.. That makes 3 they have bought in the past year or so.. The view of the fire is excellent and I enjoyed just watching it burn.. You can fit some very long pieces of wood in that stove for sure!

Ray

Danno77 said:
dat's weird to see the ends of the splits. I have to make mine just under a foot to get that to work.

did it go up quicker loaded that way? shorter burn time, more even or less even front to back burn?

Danno77 I don't think it went up any quicker I just think for a overnight burn I can get more wood in N/S and not worry about the glass.

Ramsay I'll get that picture for you.

Todd the wood is not against the glass, I am guessing it's 2 - 3 inches from the glass.

Zap

Todd said:
Ok, so you could load 16" N/S in the Liberty?

You can but I like 15, this is my first year burning with the Liberty I wonder what some of the veterans with the liberty think.

zap

My Summers takes 18 inch splits EW and NS. I do the bottom NS, the next EW, nice front to back burn.

Bootlegger said:
My Summers takes 18 inch splits EW and NS. I do the bottom NS, the next EW, nice front to back burn.

Thats a nice size both ways, the liberty will take 24 E/W.

Zap

Bootlegger said:

How do you like that stove? I am wondering how they hold up and want to avoid stoves that require repairs all the time.. I read too many posts about people that need to rebuild/repair their stoves.. Longevity and reliability along with efficiency are important to me so if anyone is interested I'd like to hear about the near zero maintenance stoves that have had them for 5 yrs or longer...

Thanx,
Ray

Zap, If you split your logs with a maul by hand like I do I guess 15 inchers are easier to split.I think if we buy a Liberty I'll cut 30'' chunks in the woods, than drag them out and buzz them in half for my north south fillers..

Status
Not open for further replies.