Hard Maple Hung Up!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Had this up before, I had made a cut on the small maple thats supporting it and you can see how much it's dropped. The second picture is the first picture taken before I cut the supporting Maple.

zap

I wouldn't make any cuts to a tree that is supporting the leaner. It's an easy way to end up taking a break from cutting wood altogether, permanently.

quads said:
I wouldn't make any cuts to a tree that is supporting the leaner. It's an easy way to end up taking a break from cutting wood altogether, permanently.

It was done from a safe distance with a very long pole saw last year.

zap

zap you need to put something in your pic's for scale of how big the tree's like quads and his maul..maybe a saw? oh pole purner nice idea!

zapny said:
quads said:

zap
Ok, that's safer! I enjoy your pictures and wouldn't want you injured and unable to post them anymore!

quads said:
zapny said:
quads said:

zap
Ok, that's safer! I enjoy your pictures and wouldn't want you injured and unable to post them anymore!

Thanks Quads, maybe the 8-12 inches of snow they forecast on the radio today (wet & heavy) will bring it down. I have enough downed trees.

zap

See if you can tell how big the logs are?

Attachments

• chainsaw in pic.jpg
    chainsaw in pic.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 280
That's good Jay.

If I have a leaner, what is pictured is my preferred type. The reason is because there are limbs on each side of the tree that is holding it up. That does not mean you can just start cutting away on the hanger though. You still have to really look things over and determine what will happen when you start cutting on the butt end. In the picture it does not show the butt or from a distance but it still appears to be a fairly simple one but that would be before you cut that other tree. Now it creates different challenges.

smokinjay said:

Hey - who put that childs toy saw on top of that log??

Jags said:
smokinjay said:

lmao good jags that was quick its details in every way are a 460... what gave it away?

smokinjay said:
Jags said:
smokinjay said:

lmao good jags that was quick its details in every way are a 460... what gave it away?

I have a tendency to play with big trees too. I usually pick up on the scale of things pretty quick from pics. I'll bet that 880 with be salivating with bar oil - waiting to sink its teeth into that big boy.

Jags said:
smokinjay said:
Jags said:
smokinjay said:

I have a tendency to play with big trees too. I usually pick up on the scale of things pretty quick from pics. I'll bet that 880 with be salivating with bar oil - waiting to sink its teeth into that big boy.

I have a few big stumps to help break it in before milling with it, and I think my 2500 board ft will go too quick and looking for more! (ps my 460 would have taken for ever too do)

Well,..........How big are the logs??????

I'm guessing 30-36"

Werm said:
Well,..........How big are the logs??????

I'm guessing 30-36"

That one closest is 22in. 14ft long hickory at both ends got to weight well over 2000lbs pic's can really fool you lol

Status
Not open for further replies.