Hard Maple

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
This hard maple was down so I bucked it up and split.

zap

Attachments

• 100_0583.jpg
    100_0583.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 536
  • 100_0584.jpg
    100_0584.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 526
zapny said:
This hard maple was down so I bucked it up and split.

zap

Nice find zap and as usual nice pics too! Sure is nice out your way!

Ray

looks like it has been down for some time.. nice looking pile, maybe a 1/2 cord?

f3cbboy said:
looks like it has been down for some time.. nice looking pile, maybe a 1/2 face cord?
There, I fixed it for you.

LLigetfa said:
f3cbboy said:
looks like it has been down for some time.. nice looking pile, maybe a 1/2 face cord?
There, I fixed it for you.

+1

And notice that zap knows how to use that splitter too. Vertically, the way wood was meant to be split. lol

Good work zap.

Backwoods Savage said:
And notice that zap knows how to use that splitter too. Vertically, the way wood was meant to be split. lol

Good work zap.

I don't know seems like extra work , I find the dead tree or cut the tree down and it's horizontal now you want me to put it vertical again so I can split it and lay it horizontally on a pile ?
I was thinking smart man that he is Zap was just tilting it up like that so it would take up less space in the shed. ;-)

Tony H said:
I was thinking smart man that he is Zap was just tilting it up like that so it would take up less space in the shed. ;-)

I'm sure that Zap was just shaking off the wood chips. He surely wouldn't split like that. :lol:

probably 1/4 face cord! or less than a weeks worth of wood

I see the phrase "hard maple" used around here pretty often but am always unsure what the author is referring to specifically. I tend to refer to trees (when I know them at all!) by their species name, like "sugar maple", or "norway maple," or "boxelder". So, when people say hard maple do they usually mean sugar maple?

I define "hard maple" as sugar maple or black maple ONLY
and thus every other tree in the Acer genus is thus a "soft maple".

Is that how others define those terms?

Hard, Red, Silver, and Mountain is all we got here. Mostly red, which most people I know call 'Soft maple"

None of um produced for crap this year

sksmass said:
I see the phrase "hard maple" used around here pretty often but am always unsure what the author is referring to specifically. I tend to refer to trees (when I know them at all!) by their species name, like "sugar maple", or "norway maple," or "boxelder". So, when people say hard maple do they usually mean sugar maple?

I define "hard maple" as sugar maple or black maple ONLY
and thus every other tree in the Acer genus is thus a "soft maple".

Is that how others define those terms?
I always thought Sugar Maple was hard maple and Silver Maple was soft maple and the rest were just maple maple.

Never really know what folks are talking about when they talk about "hard maple" . . . I always have referred to maple as red maple, sugar maple, silver maple, etc. . . . if I had to guess I would say "hard maple" might be referring to the most dense maple of the bunch -- sugar maple.

Yup that is correct, sugar and the lesser Black are the only two Hard Maples

Around here it is basically two maples; sugar (hard) maple and red (soft) maple.

here to, lots of sugar maple, never seen a black maple, but have some silvers and some reds

I would assume that Silver Maple is alittle better

I been looking at several charts and for the most part they rate the red a little above the silver, but the charts vary some times, I have seen silver maple rated better that elm and I have never agreed with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.