Hard starting Husqvarna (I used to love it) Help?? 455 rancher

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyny

Feeling the Heat
Nov 16, 2007
upstate ny
I just fixed the oiling problem ( or lack of). I put on the new PLASTIC drive gear, now it oils again. I bought 2 new gears so I can do it again NEXT yr. Now I need to re-grind the bar or buy a new one, BUT I wont need a new bar if I cant get this thing started again!!!. The past few time I used it I had more and more trouble getting it started, cold or hot. I have heard the ignition module is guaranteed for life if you pay them to replace it. Problem is it don't last long. This saw has only cut about 20 to 30 cords of wood. Its still like new but it dont run like new!!.
If I put some fuel in the carb it starts right up and stays runnin. Shut it off and nothing. It appears to be getting NO gas when trying to start, but once started it runs fine. New plug, air filter and fuel filter. Gas tank is clean as could be. Someone please point me in the right direction. ( not to the junk pile) .I can fix almost any engine, but this one has me stumped.

Mike

Fuel lines is where I would check next. Bar is an easy fix but one thing at a time.

Not sure if a Husquvarna is built similar to a Stiehl. If It was a stiehl I would say the carberator needs a new diaphram. An easy fix.

I am also with Jay but also it should have a fuel filter I would look changing the filter first should be less than 10$ for a new filter around 15$ filter and fuel line. If not rebuild carb around 25$ for a carb kit. Bar is an easy fix

Naandme said:
I am also with Jay but also it should have a fuel filter I would look changing the filter first should be less than 10$ for a new filter around 15$ filter and fuel line. If not rebuild carb around 25$ for a carb kit. Bar is an easy fix

fuel filter already done.

Mike, I would venture out on a limb and say that you have the engine running to lean.This is why it is hard to start when hot.I would make a small adjustment on both (low/High) sides buy about a quarter of a turn.Colder temperatures simply magnify the problem.Cold air is more dense that warm air.To sum it up, in the winter you need to richen her up, and summer lean her down. That sounds like a plan! Ken

Ken said:
Mike, I would venture out on a limb and say that you have the engine running to lean.This is why it is hard to start when hot.I would make a small adjustment on both (low/High) sides buy about a quarter of a turn.Colder temperatures simply magnify the problem.Cold air is more dense that warm air.To sum it up, in the winter you need to richen her up, and summer lean her down. That sounds like a plan! Ken

I've never adjusted mine on my 55 rancher and it runs fine summer or winter. I have an old stiehl and it does that about every ten years. a few dollers for a diaphram and a half hour work
and it starts like new again. If It's not fuel line the problem is in the carb.

I replace the fuel lines. the one going to the carb has a small kink in it, just enough to cause a little resistance to flow. Runs like a champ again. Thanks for the help.
Mike

mikeyny said:
I replace the fuel lines. the one going to the carb has a small kink in it, just enough to cause a little resistance to flow. Runs like a champ again. Thanks for the help.

OUTSTANDING! Mike

Mike, I am glad you have you 455 in good running form however, I suspect that the kink in the gas line may have had a small tear and was letting air get drawn into the carb.This MAY have attributed to your starting issues. Ken

Just curious, I lived near Rome for 19 years. West Branch to be exact, then Taberg

Status
Not open for further replies.