Hard water spots on new dark countertops

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
I'm currently shopping for new countertops to replace my 25 year old Formica counters. This is not a fancy house so will be sticking with mid-grade counters and shopping at Lowes/Home Depot kind of places. Right now we're leaning towards some darker styles and it has me thinking about the hard water spots I get everywhere. I am on a neighborhood well system and every water drop leaves a little white mark when it dries. It is not permanent but can become unsightly and can build up in certain places like around my sinkside dish dryer, etc. I'm wondering if anybody has had the same issue and if darker counters are just going to frustrate me?

You need to get a water softener.

Water spots on the counter are the least of your worries. Hard water is tough on all appliances. Clothes washer, toilets, sinks/showers, water heater, boiler, dishwasher, etc.

I agree, water spots on counters are a sign that things might be really bad on things out of site, like inside your pipes.

Quickest way to clear water stains is with something acid, but inside pipes, the only way is a water softener, which makes the water slightly acidic.

Status
Not open for further replies.