Hardhack/Ironwood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Is this to small to split?

zap

Attachments

• 100_0255.jpg
    100_0255.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 320
FWIW, I split anything larger than 3" in diameter.

+1

More surface, more drying.

KC

I'd skip splitting that small stuff unless the splitter was already running close by.

BeGreen said:
I'd skip splitting that small stuff unless the splitter was already running close by.

I do have some splitting to the left out of the picture of about 30 rounds, plus some ash.

zap

I split anything bigger than 4", myself.
It does dry faster split, though.
I burned some Poplar this winter, just for the fun of it, and split everything - some were 2" rounds! It dried in 5 months (yes, I have a meter).
There's no Ironwood around here - good find!
Happy burning.

How long until you plan to burn it? I keep some large limbs unsplit for longer overnight burns. After 2 years or so they are quite dry.

Matt

Now that I have some dry 4-5" rounds, I love them for overnight burns. Ironwood would be really good for this. I would keep them as-is and just let them dry until the bark falls off. Could be a long time if you keep them in the woods, but if you get them into the open where they can get some sun and wind, maybe only 2-3 years.

oooooooooohh , I love ironwood.
I wood leave as is and keep them for al nighters.
I have tons of those I've cut and let lay on one piece of managed land eye own. It's too bad I can't get to them without cutting lots of good stuff.

I too like some rounds for night fires. Most of those are too small to even worry about but the bigger ones in the picture will make good night fires.

I cut one last winter that was 7-8 inches. I split the bottom few rounds, down to maybe 5". It all burned quite nicely this winter. I think it starts out fairly low mc anyway.
I didn't want to cut it, but it was in the way of the hickory I was after. Collateral damage?

Status
Not open for further replies.