Hardwood ID?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ampamp

Oct 31, 2010
Buffalo - Rochester
Any idea what type of hardwood this is. I'm taking a wild guess....maybe ash? I was told it might be oak, but it felt kinda light for that when I was cutting it up...Hopefully you can see enough detail in the pic.

Attachments

• Wood ID Pic.jpg
    Wood ID Pic.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 525
The color leads me to believe something other than ash, comparing it to the pic of ash I have and it looks different.

IMG_0695.jpg

Maybe Norway Maple, bark looks that way to me in pic.

Wood Duck said:
That center split looks like Sassafras.

I think that could be an accuarte assessment. I got this from the site with all species of trees that I bookmarked.

wsaal5-brlarge16321.jpg

amp said:
Any idea what type of hardwood this is. I'm taking a wild guess....maybe ash? I was told it might be oak, but it felt kinda light for that when I was cutting it up...Hopefully you can see enough detail in the pic.
Its hard when its wet!

I'm seeing Hard Maple. At least the pieced on the rt and left. the pice in center looks to be something differant

Im thinking the center one is pine. The outer pieces don't look like oak to me but I have been wrong before..

The round on the left looks like maple, probably hard(sugar) maple. The center one I still think looks like Sassafras. The right round and the round below it have the wood color of Tulip, but the bark looks a little off for Tulip. Perhaps the short length of the rounds gives a wrong impression of the bark. i think Tulip, or my second guess is Bigtooth Aspen, which should have whiter wood.

gator21 said:
weatherguy said:
The color leads me to believe something other than ash, comparing it to the pic of ash I have and it looks different.

It is ash!

Oops I should have read more closely. I was looking at the second picture that weatheguy posted which is obviously ash. I believe the first pic is mainly maple, not sure about the center round.

Could be maple for sure but I do not see any sassafras there.

Tulip or norway maple.

IF this all comes from one tree I'd have to guess any of the varieties of soft maple. If from more than one tree I'm saying Sugar Maple on the left, Norrway Maple on the right and Could-Be-Anything in the middle.
Split those rounds open and give some more pics. Good pics of the end-grain help too.

I only first had seen the wood in pretty big pieces before I had the chance to cut it up. I talked with the property owner and it seems he believes it's some type of maple. I saw a good pic of sassafras in the responces, but that's not this. I should have taken a better, dryer picture as well. It's been raining here for the past few months it seems, so it's been difficult for anything to dry out. Also, not sure if it's in the picture, but there was a few chunks of boxelder. Yeah i know....not good firewood, but its only a few pieces. Boxelder is a maple I hear.....but too soft. I'm leaning away from it being ash too......I'll try to get better pics this weekend. Thanks for all the input. I'm a big woodstove guy....so I like to know exactly what's going into it. Thanks again.

here's a few pics of the 2 types in my pile I'm trying to identify. I'm pretty sure the one is a soft maple (split maple?) with the smooth bark. I should have laid out the leaves as well. The one on the left that I think is split maple...the leaves aren't really that mature this year yet...but you can tell it's a maple. I figure, either way they both should be good to burn in the woodstove. Any ideas on both of them? I seem to be getting a lot of maple this year.....almost all maple. Thanks.

Attachments

• Wodd ID Pic 2.jpg
    Wodd ID Pic 2.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 226
  • Wood ID Pic 3.jpg
    Wood ID Pic 3.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 244
In the last pics you posted I'd say the top one looks like Red Maple based on the leaf and the color of the wood.
The bottom one has that stringy Elm appearance, but the bark doesn't look like American Elm...

amp said:
here's a few pics of the 2 types in my pile I'm trying to identify. I'm pretty sure the one is a soft maple (split maple?) with the smooth bark. I should have laid out the leaves as well. The one on the left that I think is split maple...the leaves aren't really that mature this year yet...but you can tell it's a maple. I figure, either way they both should be good to burn in the woodstove. Any ideas on both of them? I seem to be getting a lot of maple this year.....almost all maple. Thanks.

Hurry!!! Go find a priest and rub garlic all over yourself...that last pic looks like <shudder> @#$*&$!! ELM!!!!

Ed

amp said:

The left pic is Red Maple (Swamp Maple) Give me a close end view of the other one ( the grain)..............

WoodButcher

Status
Not open for further replies.