hardwood/softwood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

warm

Sep 10, 2010
coastal maine
Which is the best to burn? pros and cons please. Went into Lowes last week and bought 3 ton of Somersets (guy said he'd go put our name on them). Today we get a call that they really didn't have Somersets. I had read a lot of positives for them. Now, not sure what to go with. They have Maines Choice and Natures Own available.

Generally speaking, softwoods burn a little hotter and produce less ash than hardwoods.

Stand by for many more opinions...

Dall,

Living East of the Mississippi, ( in Maine like you), and having burned wood for many years, the first year with the pellet stove I HAD TO HAVE HARDWOOD PELLETS.

WOULD NOT THINK OF BURNING SOFTWOOD IN THE TARM BOILER, BUT . . . .

After trying different brands, and hardwood vs softwood, and reading about other members' experiences, I came to realize that pellets are different than cordwood and the quality of the pellet, a low ash content, and clean burning, are way more important than the hardwood vs softwood question.

My Lopi Leyden's glass stays cleaner longer when burning quality softwood pellets and, heat output and other considerations are the same or better.

Take some time and read the reports of pellet testing done by member j-takeman and try a few different brands in your stove.

Sometimes the low cost pellet is not the best buy in the long run.

Good luck.

Ranger

doesn't make a difference, just get the clean ones.

read the damn 100 page pellet review already done by one of our members. Hardwood/softwood doesnt matter. From personal experience, I have had better success with the softwood pellets I've used.

dall said:
Which is the best to burn? pros and cons please. Went into Lowes last week and bought 3 ton of Somersets (guy said he'd go put our name on them). Today we get a call that they really didn't have Somersets. I had read a lot of positives for them. Now, not sure what to go with. They have Maines Choice and Natures Own available.

All 3 brands listed are hardwood or mostly hardwood blends. Somersets would be the best of the 3 brands listed. Natures own and Maine Choice were pretty close But I would give the edge to Natures Own.

What softwoods brands are we talking about?

Thanks for the responses. Do you go through more softwood pellets in a heating season than you would with hardwood? I have to check what they have for softwood pellets they didn't say when they called.

dall said:
Thanks for the responses. Do you go through more softwood pellets in a heating season than you would with hardwood? I have to check what they have for softwood pellets they didn't say when they called.

The stove feeds 'em in at the same rate regardless of what kind of pellet it is...

krooser said:
dall said:

The stove feeds 'em in at the same rate regardless of what kind of pellet it is...

To me(and it can be controversial) Because the softwoods generally produce more heat. I think I use less overall. But I use a thermostat most of the time. So once the house reaches temp the stove shuts down. With a higher BTU output the stove seems to run less. More heat out the front the faster the house heats the less the stove runs(sounds good to me anyway). If you run the stove 24/7 you might use more? But the house will be warmer overall. You would or could turn the stove down some and the temp equals out and you should use less.

We are working on a way to test this theory. But even that can't be agreed upon! :red:

The Somersets are a topshelf and will rival the good softwoods. Both softwoods and hardwoods have great brands and so so brands. Comparing them is the tough part.

Status
Not open for further replies.