Harman Accentra 2 - Auger motor clunking noise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mattaiello92

Jan 16, 2020
Vermont, USA
Good Morning Folks!

I have seen a few posts about the Harman Accentra chain driven models making an booming clunking noise but I'm wondering if anyone has some new tips.

Our Accentra is 8-10 years old(best estimate, it came with the house) and this year it has developed a loud clunk when the auger motor kicks on and the pellet door opens. I've had a professional come and perform service, and replace the mounting bracket for the auger motor which was a common issue, but the sound persists with no change. It is loud enough that it sounds like someone stomping around when I am on another floor.

From what I can tell, the chain is not jumping, the pellet door opens and shuts smoothly, and it's clean. The service guy told me that the noise is normal but I'm not convinced since it is VERY loud. If I put my hand on the motor when it is in test mode, I can feel the motor jumping as if there is tension on the bracket getting released. The stove also runs perfectly other than the noise, it has no feed issues, stays lit, the igniter works great, literally nothing wrong with the operation other than the jarring clunk every minute or so.

Any tips or tricks would be welcome! I was considering some kind of vibration absorbing material to go underneath the stove, but I feel like that would just be a bandaid.

Thanks!

The last time mine did that it was the chain riding up on the sprocket and then dropping in. I had to watch it for quite a while to see it happen. A slight adjustment to the sprocket position on the shaft corrected the misalignment enough to stop it.

I had the same problem, aligned sprocket. Also there are rubber gromments that are taking the shock where the motor is mounted. They will wear out which alter the alignment.