Harman Accentra-2 Pellet Stove; Restart issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

goldwingman

Nov 21, 2008
Northern CA.
Greetings,

This is first post, just found this forum. I have a new Harman Accentra-2. A piece of paper inside the new stove
indicated manufacture date of 08/06. Dealer insisted that this was a "current" model that was being shipped from
manufacturer.

Have the ESP probe connected and stove comes up to temperature as set by the internal temp control while in
Auto or Manual mode. If set for 70 degrees, room stays at 70, no problem. The issue I have; Turn the stove off,
doesn't matter for how long, with the room temp control, or pull off the ESP probe getting the four blink code.
Turn the room temp back to "room temp" and the stove refuses to light up until the room drops to 64 degrees.
A temperature gradient of about 6 degrees is needed to relight the stove no matter what the "temperature" control
is set.

At my request, the dealer provided me with a replacement ESP probe and that hasn't changed anything. They
are going to try a new control board when they get one in stock.

Another question; On my control panel is a small window which has a DIP switch assembly. Since it is "open to
the world" I wonder if someone has played with the factory settings. Does anyone have any ideas about this
above issue and can someone tell me what the settings for these, appears to be five" DIP switches should be?

Thank you

Don

First off, I think you are confused with some terminology on your stove. THe ESP (exhaust sensing probe) is in the exhaust pipe and is not something a homeowner would have installed or unplugged during the normal course of using this stove. So I can only infer you mean the "Room Probe" when you say ESP. If this is the case, the first thing I would do is move the room probe to a different place. Where is it now?

Thank you for your response, Parrot Head. Your correct, the "room probe" is what I was talking about. My dealer
refered to this item as the ESP probe so continued to follow their lead.

I have had two different room probes, at various locations. Per dealer, coiled on floor behind stove, at various
levels up the wall behind and to the side of the stove. All these locations were monitored for temperature at the
probe location. As noted, a 6 degree gradient was needed before the stove would relight.

Current probe location is "inside" a programmable thermostat that I use for a "timer". No drafts and thermostat
display is representative of the actual room temperature.

One other symptom that I have noticed. In "Auto" room temp mode, after the room has stabilized in temperature,
the stove will sometimes "shutdown". I was told that the room temp must exceed the stove set temperature by
at least 3 degreees before this should happen. So, appears to be another anomally.

Also, the room temp probes that I have used are "black" wire. The owners manual says the probe color is "grey".
I wonder if the probes that I have been using belong to a different model of Harman stove??

All the models use the same probe. Black wire or grey doesn't matter (different vendor same spec)
As far as shutting down goes, the set temp does not have to ba exceeded, the control board has to sense a stable room temp with the stove at minimum output for a certain length of time to go into shutdown, or a rising room temp with the stove at minimum output.
One other point, the temp dial on the stove is not necessarily acurate relative to the actual numbers printed there. What I mean is what you believ to be a setting of , say 70 degrees, the cicuit board may actually see as 66 or 74. There is a tool that your dealer should have from Harman, called a DDM (digital diagnostic module) that plugs into the control board and gives a digital readout of what the stove is set at as well as what the room probe is actually reading.
Also , in answer to your first post the dip switch setting for the Accentra is all the switches in th "off" position

Status
Not open for further replies.