Harman Accentra 52i Newbie?? Black Soot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky

Feeling the Heat
Nov 2, 2014
Rochester, NY
Just did my first general cleaning of firebox and heat exchangers. I noticed that the heat exchanger had a good coating of grey ash on them but in the surrounding areas I seemed to have black soot that got all over my hands. Is this normal or should there be no black soot in the firebox.

Harman's have no real user adjustments for air or fuel feed. Except of course the draft voltage adjustment, but you don't want to play with that unless you have a magnehelic gauge. Running the stove on low often causes a little black soot to form in areas of the fire box that are cooler. Poor quality pellets could be an issue as well. Run that puppy on high for a bit and see if it goes away. Also if you can show a pic of it, makes it easier to see what's going on.

Reactions: alternativeheat
I get a little soot this time of year in my stove as well. Mine is from running the stove on such a low setting for a long period of time.

I get a little soot this time of year in my stove as well. Mine is from running the stove on such a low setting for a long period of time.
Same here and depending on pellets. In my P61 the fire brick has had some black what I thought to be soot on it for some time. Today I blasted the stove and most everything in the box was either light grey or grey after that burn. The fire brick still had some soot I thought. It turned out warm today and I shut the stove down and brushed it down when it cooled off. That sooty stuff was just dark ash it came right off with my brush with 0 effort. But this stove has been in a low burn for a couple of days and several days last week too.

To the OP: get yourself some work gloves for cleaning the stove.

Reactions: JDenyer236
Exactly, that soot is so fine, it even vanishes if the shop vac is near it. A hot burn removes 95% of it.

I noticed a darkening of the normal buildup inside the stove and the flame didn't have the same sharpness. Culprit was a aging gasket of the ash door allowing air in where it was not doing the fire any good. Yesterday's AM project. Fire back to having nice sharp tongue and brighter. Sometimes it's the fuel too.

I noticed a darkening of the normal buildup inside the stove and the flame didn't have the same sharpness. Culprit was a aging gasket of the ash door allowing air in where it was not doing the fire any good. Yesterday's AM project. Fire back to having nice sharp tongue and brighter. Sometimes it's the fuel too.
Last year I had an ash door gasket that wasn't seating right on my new P61. I changed it out for the next larger size. Someplace around here are photos I posted of that situation and the resulting ash trail that had eye brows of clear area on the door caused I felt by the air leak. We were in a heavy burn time of year though where right now we are doing a lot of low burns out this way. My stove is producing some dark ash, I think darker than during the ash door situation. Many here felt the ash door doesn't play a big roll in flame change when it has a slight leak, not as the main door would, I don't see how that can be.

Tonight temps are supposed to take a dive right on through the weekend, the stove will love it !!

If the air isn't going through the pot as it should it stands to reason that the fire isn't going to burn as designed. Harman p series pull in directly from fresh air intake not from ash bin area as in say Whitfields and a Santa Fe Quad. Both stoves systems are not true outside air. 2nd if there is a increase in air speed of the exhaust that should mean a lowering of thermal transfer lowering efficiency of the stove too.

Status
Not open for further replies.