harman accentra combustion blower removal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

corkman

Minister of Fire
Dec 3, 2009
SE,Mass
i mentioned this in another thread but didnt get any feedback.how do i get the comb blower out.it seems to be running fine but the nuts that secure it to the stove do not seem to be tightened up all the way.so i wanna take it out and lube if necessary.this is a used stove that i picked up recently

free standing.not the easiest to get access

From the front of the stove you must remove the fan blade first with an allen wrench, this is always fun because it is probably rusted and dusted it. Once you remove the blade go to the back of the stove and remove the 3 nuts from the mounting studs on the combustion blower unit and remove.

how do you even get at those screws on the mounting studs?i removed the back of the stove and the only thing removable from the blower is the black plastic shield.its next to impossible to get anything in there to get them off.anyone have ant tips.

You want to remove the nuts, there should three of them fastened to the studs coming off the back of the stove. They hold the blower on the stove and rubber mounts to absorb any vibration. Two will be easy the third one could be tricky if stove is against wall.

Here's a tip for after the removal. Put some high temp anti-seize on the set screw that holds the impeller to the blower motor shaft. This ensures that it won't "set-up" on you. Removal for annual, semi-annual cleanings will be a breeze.

PJPellet said:
Here's a tip for after the removal. Put some high temp anti-seize on the set screw that holds the impeller to the blower motor shaft. This ensures that it won't "set-up" on you. Removal for annual, semi-annual cleanings will be a breeze.
Thanks PJ, I was going to mention that but am multi-tasking too much today.

1.) Go home
2.) go to the fridge
3.) remove a cold beer
4.) open the beer
5.) take a sip.
6.) call your dealer and tell him
7.) repeat step 5 as much as it takes prior to repeating step 2,3, and 4
8) watch your dealer as he replaces the blower making sure to offer him a beer after the work is done.

Eric

well you were right.the set screw is locked up pretty good.i oiled it up so now i gotta play the waiting game.what do you guys actually do the the blower once you get it ou.t

kinsman stoves [email said:
[email protected][/email]]1.) Go home
2.) go to the fridge
3.) remove a cold beer
4.) open the beer
5.) take a sip.
8) watch your dealer as he replaces the blower making sure to offer him a beer after the work is done.

Eric

Great advice, because that set screw is not gonna be fun even with PB Blaster

Defiant said:
kinsman stoves [email said:
[email protected][/email]]1.) Go home
2.) go to the fridge
3.) remove a cold beer
4.) open the beer
5.) take a sip.

Eric

Great advice, because that set screw is not gonna be fun even with PB Blaster

Ain't that the truth.

I did a drill and extractor routine to get a stuck set screw out once and don't want to do that again.

well that was a challenge but i did get it out.surprised not to see any gasket.the parts list shows a combustion blower gasket but no diagram of it.where does the gasket get mounted.what should i do to the blower now that i have it out besides compressed air

corkman said:
well that was a challenge but i did get it out.surprised not to see any gasket.the parts list shows a combustion blower gasket but no diagram of it.where does the gasket get mounted.what should i do to the blower now that i have it out besides compressed air

Stiff wire brush the impeller, blow out the motor and the motors cooling fan.

Congrats on the extraction !! Smokey X 2, I don't have an Accentra to look at but my recollection is there is no gasket. While motor is out put it on a bench and power up, make sure it is quiet, there is really nothing to oil since it is a sealed motor.

Thanks Eric, you got me going, currently stuck on step #5.

Where can I get some high-temp anti-seize? Went to Lowes and asked a few people and they looked at me like I had 3 heads. I guess that is a typical response when you ask for anything besides paint or lumber....

Where can I get some high-temp anti-seize? Went to Lowes and asked a few people and they looked at me like I had 3 heads. I guess that is a typical response when you ask for anything besides paint or lumber....

Just use the regular stuff. Go to an auto parts place. I use it on wood stove rebuilds - mainly on the door handle assemblies - & it's still in place even after 3 - 4 winters...Comparatively speaking, I kinda doubt your pellet stove blower motor mounting screws will be in that harsh of an environment...

Try an auto parts store like NAPA, Advanced Auto etc.

Something like this should be fine as it is used on exhaust head bolts and good to 1600 deg. Also, this is about all you would need; unless you have other uses for it, then a larger container might be better

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=BK_09975_0006382899

Try an auto parts store like NAPA, Advanced Auto etc.

Something like this should be fine as it is used on exhaust head bolts and good to 1600 deg. Also, this is about all you would need; unless you have other uses for it, then a larger container might be better

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=BK_09975_0006382899

How is this applied? Looks like a pouch or something.

What about this? http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=BK_7651828_0361152212

The stuff in the tube you can just squeeze it out like toothpaste & smear it into the external threads. The stuff in a can generally comes with a small applicator brush...
I understand that but the stuff in gbreda's link didn't look like a tube of toothpaste or can with a brush on the lid....

I understand that but the stuff in gbreda's link didn't look like a tube of toothpaste or can with a brush on the lid....

Hmmm. Looks like a tube of toothpaste to me when I click on it. It's a smaller container & comes in a cardboard backed package...Squeezes out & it's REALLY greasy & it's a silvery color. Keep a rag handy, as it gets all over the place.

Hmmm. Looks like a tube of toothpaste to me when I click on it. It's a smaller container & comes in a cardboard backed package...Squeezes out & it's REALLY greasy & it's a silvery color. Keep a rag handy, as it gets all over the place.

OK Sorry about that. I apologize. I was looking at a thumbnail image. When I enlarge it, I can see the words "TEAR HERE"

Reactions: DAKSY
OK Sorry about that. I apologize. I was looking at a thumbnail image. When I enlarge it, I can see the words "TEAR HERE"

That set screw is very small. If you wont use this on anything else, all you need is a small one use packet/tube at $1.35. I use it on all spark plugs.

The link you have is the same thing, only a larger tube with a cap..like toothpaste. Better price on that is you will use it. 5 gram vs 1 oz.

And yeah, have a rag; that silver stuff gets on your skin and it don't come off that easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.