Harman Accentra Insert - fuse keeps blowing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scraprageous

Jan 1, 2011
Minnesota
I know why it blew in the first place - heavy rain/winds/sleet - anyway - things got wet, I heard a loud pop and it was done (chimney gets work as well).

Pulled it out and fuse was blown. Let it dry for two days - checked wires and all - everything looks good.

Put a new fuse on the circuit board - plugged it in (before pushing everything back into place - I know crimped wires can cause issues). Fuse blew before I had the plug all the way into the outlet.

Everything looks ok, any suggestions of what else to look at? Could the circuit board have died as well? Just looking for more ideas as my repair guy is gone for another week.

There should be scorch marks were the arc happened. Did you take a good look at the board? I would also pull all the motors and hit them with contact cleaner. Might even want to hit just about everything with it for that matter. Moisture hides everywhere!

I think I found the arc - between the connectors - brown wire to the 11 pin plug. (it is the only one of the connections with black scorching inside). Now to figure out where kids moved the manual.

Nothing on the circuit board that I can see - there is a bit of black on the transformer, but after moving things, I think it is just be from my hands as it is on the white portion.

A failed igniter can causse the instant fuse blow also. To check this unplug the lt. blue and yellow wires from the igniter. you have to pull the igniter to unhook wires

take the exhaust motor outta the loop and see what happens. If you plug the stove in w/ the mode to off, the fan will start up for a second or two, then shut off. It's the first thing the stove does when it is plugged in. Since the exhaust fan is in a direct line to the exhaust outlet, it would be the most probable thing to get damage by water infiltration.

Thanks - I tried the above, but each time I try to bypass something, I blow another fuse (I guess I could be doing something wrong, but if I am, I don't know what it would be, so in my book it is time to call someone who does).

Since we do have another heat source (not nearly as nice, but it works well enough - even with sub-zero temps), I will leave things until I can have my repair guy look at things. I am not positive, but kind of leaning towards the circuit board being fried as well as possibly the exhaust motor - it did have a lot of water - sucked up nearly 5 gallons with shop vac. There could be more things not working as well. Right now doing a good cleaning (while everything is out) of everything.

Thanks again for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.