Harman Accentra Insert Owners: Do you have an OAK installed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Harman Accentra Insert Owners: Do you have an OAK installed?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cincinnati Kid

Feeling the Heat
Jan 6, 2009
Cincinnati
The local dealer states an OAK is not necessary on an Harman Accentra Insert.

Do other owners have an OAK installed?

good question .. Im taggin this post

I just bought one , not installed yet. Two dealers said it wasn't necessary. One didn't know what it was. One fully explained it. Told me how it was installed and said i probably didn't need it, but it wouldn't hurt and it might help. That's who I bought it from. He said the the literature from the manufacturers is getting stronger. Started neutral, to recommended to strongly recommend. I just ordered it 200.00, figure it would be harder to do it after the fact if I found I needed it.

I have an OAK on my Accentra insert, installed in the zero-clearance box.

I'm not sure where the insert would draw the air from if it was not hooked up to an OAK. I suppose it would pull air from inside the "hole" it is installed in. A free-standing stove would obviously be able to draw from air in the room - not so sure about an insert. I supposed it depends upon your circumstances.

In my circumstances, I took out an old gas stove and installed the Accentra, so there was just a "box" in my wall to fit the whole works into. Without an obvious air suppy for the stove, I chose to spend the few dollars involved and install the OAK.

Installed mine without an OAK. The insert is in a center fireplace so no access to an outside wall anyway. I was told that an OAK was not necessary. The stove runs perfectly fine without. I think it is a matter of preference and your individual situation.

Oak goes up the same fireplace flue, stops just past the damper. The damper is sealed and insulated there. They install a spacer at the cap instead of sealing it and it draws outside air that way. In a nut shell. I don't see how it can hurt..

I have the Harman Advance and when I bought It last year I was told the OAK was not needed. After much reading up on the subject I put It In anyway. My son the engineer just bought the Harman Accentra and It will be delivered next week. We plan to do the self Install but the Engineer (who Is smarter than dad) wont be installing the OAK . We will be having Thanksgiving at his house and I cannot wait to be sitting next to the new stove and complain about the cool draft I feel around my feet and legs. HE HE
Jim

of the Harman stoves that we had to replace feeders on almost all had OAKs on them. None without OAK.

rickwa said:
of the Harman stoves that we had to replace feeders on almost all had OAKs on them. None without OAK.

What was the problem with the feeders?

Status
Not open for further replies.