Harman Accentra Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bee_2102

Jan 18, 2012
Western PA
Went to my local harman vendor with the intentions of pricing a pellet stove for my 1200 sq ft ranch. The dealer asked me numerous questions and I even took a layout of my home. To make a long story short, my basement is full finished with 2x2 studs with styrofoam insulation and a drop ceiling. I told him that it also has a fireplace in the basement and he recommended the Accentra Insert guaranteeing me that it would heat the basement and my first floor. If it didn't he said bring it back after a year and he'd give me my money back. He said he would put it in writing on the slip. I am a little skeptical as to whether or not it would actually work. The quote he gave me was $4400 and that includes everything. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

How good is the insulation in the first floor walls & attic?
The Accentra is a 42K BTU unit & it MIGHT do the first floor
if you have good insulation, but I doubt it'll do both your
basement & that first floor. How does he expect the heat to:
1) Get to the first floor &
2) Get to ALL areas of the first floor?
Ranch houses are NOTORIOUSLY hard to heat with a single bio-fuel
burning appliance, because heat likes to go UP - not SIDEWAYS...
If he gives it to you in writing, I'd have a Notary Public witness him
signing the document, because I don't believe the Accentra
will meet your needs...

That is a great price and a good deal.

Eric

bee_2102 said:
Went to my local harman vendor with the intentions of pricing a pellet stove for my 1200 sq ft ranch. The dealer asked me numerous questions and I even took a layout of my home. To make a long story short, my basement is full finished with 2x2 studs with styrofoam insulation and a drop ceiling. I told him that it also has a fireplace in the basement and he recommended the Accentra Insert guaranteeing me that it would heat the basement and my first floor. If it didn't he said bring it back after a year and he'd give me my money back. He said he would put it in writing on the slip. I am a little skeptical as to whether or not it would actually work. The quote he gave me was $4400 and that includes everything. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I was quoted $5300 for an Accentra insert installed. Ended up going with the bigger Mt. Vernon for the same money from another dealer.

That price you got is great.

I have an Accentra Insert and it heats main floor @ 72 & second floor @ 68 (no fans or vents), about 2k sqft in all. Every home is different based on insulation, layout, windows, etc but I do not think what the dealer is telling you is unreasonable, IMO.

suggested retail is about $4000. There is a $300 off coupon right now.

Eric

that price was with the $300 coupon. I would be happy if my basement was 72 and first floor was 68. I would consider that a success.

bee_2102 said:
that price was with the $300 coupon. I would be happy if my basement was 72 and first floor was 68. I would consider that a success.

I would HOPE that you have a full length liner, 4" diameter.

Eric

I would have to agree with DAKSY after I have run the smaller P35i insert for about a month. It really depends on the house. It's hard for me to move heat up to my second floor but that's OK because i don't want warm bedrooms. I'd put the stove on the floor you spend the most time -- that might be the finished basement for you. As for the price you got, that's a good deal. Good luck!

I have an Harman Accentra insert, and a trilevel home with about 2400 sq ft.
My Stove is in the basement level, and heats about 85% of the house effectively, but does influence the entire house (including the back bedrooms). I could probably run it a hair higher, but then we'd be roasted out of the lower level.

Run a good pellet, and it should have no issues.

But, since it's going in the basement level, and I'm assuming it's not as open as my tri-level, you might consider putting some air vents in between the floors.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised, and if the dealer is willing to put it in writing - then you have nothing to lose.

DAKSY said:
How good is the insulation in the first floor walls & attic?
The Accentra is a 42K BTU unit & it MIGHT do the first floor
if you have good insulation, but I doubt it'll do both your
basement & that first floor. How does he expect the heat to:
1) Get to the first floor &
2) Get to ALL areas of the first floor?
Ranch houses are NOTORIOUSLY hard to heat with a single bio-fuel
burning appliance, because heat likes to go UP - not SIDEWAYS...
If he gives it to you in writing, I'd have a Notary Public witness him
signing the document, because I don't believe the Accentra
will meet your needs...

and I disagree, considering I have a similar setup and it works great for me.

I think you will be ok. It might take a little of trial and error on being able to move the air around.

I have that stove with a 2400 sq ft colonial. The stove is located on the first floor in the living room. That room is about 74 and the bedrooms on the second floor are around 68. This is at night when its in the teen's out. If its warmer, I don't need to run the stove as hard. I have a few fans on the floor moving the air around and I think it works pretty good. The house was built in 2002 and has good insulation.

Do you use the basement as living space? Are you down there much. I only ask since it will be nice and warm down there. My buddy had a Harman pellet (don't remember the model, but higher btu than mine) and he had it in his basement and he had a smaller cape house. The basement had not insulation with the cement walls exposed. His basement was like 83 degrees and his first floor was maybe 70 if he was lucky. Bedrooms on the second floor would get into the 50's at night. So he had to use oil to heat the bedrooms. On top of that, he was using like 2 plus bags a day to keep the first floor around 70. To me it wasn't worth the price and was the wrong set up. I ended up helping him put in vents in the floor and that helped. He ended up selling the house though so we never got it totally fine tuned.

I think you will be in better shape than him since your basement is insulated, but if you don't use it as living space I think it is kind of a waste of pellets/money to heat that space. Plus you have to heat it higher than normal to keep your first floor comfortable.

Chris

bee_2102 said:

Do it, you'll love the stove, and spend most of your time down there.

Is this a good deal on an Acentra Free Standing? It's new never used, but probably around a 2008 or 2009 model. Dealer went out of business and is selling inventory that they have left:
Harman Accentra FS
http://www.harmanstoves.com/products/details.asp?cat=stoves&prd=pellet-stoves&f=ACCPSTV
Our best selling pellet stove by Harman
One of the highest quality pellet stoves available. Easy to use, dependable, with climate control and all safety features. The very best stove for installing in rentals.
Retail: $3299. Sale: $2699
1 left

Thanks for all the input fella's. I think I am going to take the plunge. My basement is wide open, so it should heat it pretty well. I would love to spend more of my time down there, but I keep it at 62 down there and I would have to jack the oil furnace up to get it heated. I have a a brick ranch with 7.5 ft ceilings on the upper level, so that should help. I also have a ceiling fan in the basement that would help circulate the air. Is the accentra a pain to clean?

bee_2102 said:
Thanks for all the input fella's. I think I am going to take the plunge. My basement is wide open, so it should heat it pretty well. I would love to spend more of my time down there, but I keep it at 62 down there and I would have to jack the oil furnace up to get it heated. I have a a brick ranch with 7.5 ft ceilings on the upper level, so that should help. I also have a ceiling fan in the basement that would help circulate the air. Is the accentra a pain to clean?

I thought taking the medallion & metal plates off to clean (which I do every other week) would be hard but boy it is not. If I can do it, and I have NO mechanical/labor ability at all, anyone can.

Clean it once a week, takes 30-45 min, takes longer to cool down than to clean.

IMO you are making a good choice.

How does the MT Vernon AE insert compare to the Harman? Wondering if I should check this model out??? Just want to make the right decision here.

I looked at the Accentra, ended up with the Mt. Vernon because of the higher BTU rating.

Both are fine units, IMHO. It depends what your needs are.

I am taking the plunge and getting the Accentra Insert for my basement. Found a better offer of $4470 and that includes chimney liner, install, and a ton of C & C Smith pellets delivered with the stove. Can't wait to get it installed. Hope it heats the first floor. If not, then I have a nice, toasty basement to spend my time in. I'll let you know how I make out as far as heating the whole house. Thanks for everyone's help and opinions.

I am looking at an Accentra Insert as well. getting to the formal quote stage. A preliminary quote looks in the $4500 installed, before tax. Does your $4470 include tax?

Tweed said:
I am looking at an Accentra Insert as well. getting to the formal quote stage. A preliminary quote looks in the $4500 installed, before tax. Does your $4470 include tax?

Yeah, that was $4470 for everything.

Just curious as to what everyone runs their distribution blower on? I would think that if you're not running it on high, then you are losing heat output??? After running this for 3 days now, I am not real impressed with the thermostat when running it on Room Temp mode. I have read alot on here that the majority seem to prefer Stove Mode and you get that consistent heat output.

I set the fan in the middle position between L and H. I prefer Room Temp mode since it provides a consistent temperature regardless of the outside temp. I extended the wire on the room temp probe and it is located about ten feet from the stove, four feet off the ground. Occasionally, I will place a thermometer near the probe to monitor it. I have been pleased with its accuracy.

bee_2102 said:
Just curious as to what everyone runs their distribution blower on? I would think that if you're not running it on high, then you are losing heat output??? After running this for 3 days now, I am not real impressed with the thermostat when running it on Room Temp mode. I have read alot on here that the majority seem to prefer Stove Mode and you get that consistent heat output.

At first, I also ran on auto mode and didn't love it. Since running in stove temp, the heat is more consistent and is able to "build up" - In auto mode, the stove will ramp up and then ramp way down, I don't think that fluctuation allows the heat to distribute throughout the whole house.

When it's cold, I keep my stove temp on 75 and medium. On a warmer day, I drop it to low. Works like a charm.

movemaine said:
At first, I also ran on auto mode and didn't love it. Since running in stove temp, the heat is more consistent and is able to "build up" - In auto mode, the stove will ramp up and then ramp way down, I don't think that fluctuation allows the heat to distribute throughout the whole house.

The control loop on the thermostat sounds too short. are you able to move it to a location farther from the stove where you want more heat?

Status
Not open for further replies.