Harman Accentra Install Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tmat

Nov 18, 2010
New Hampshire
Hi all,

I'm a new Harman Accentra owner and I'm trying to do the install myself. I've done lots of reading and asking questions of different dealers and it seems like I get different answers from everyone so I'm just trying to go by what the manual says, which unfortunately isn't very good, in my opinion. Anyway, I'm using the Lowe's Duravent kit and am also installing an outside air intake pipe (drilling a second hole through my wall).

My question is regarding the attachment of the air intake pipe to the stove. It seems like the flex pipe goes inside the flange on the back of the stove and it slides in about 1.5" and then hits a little stop. I'm assuming since this is a nice snug fit that I don't even really need a screw or silicone or anything to hold the pipe in place, correct? Also, there is a flapper in the intake that opens inwards. Do I leave that flapper there or is that something I need to remove? I'm wondering what actually opens the flapper (does the stove create enough of a vacuum to pull that flapper open and allow air to come into the stove?

Thanks in advance. I'm sure I'll have more questions as my install progresses :)

Yes there is enough airflow on the intake pipe to open the flapper.

Thank you. I'm almost finished with installation. Just need to wait for the silicone dry a bit and a little bit of finishing up and I should be ready to start the fire.

I must say I'm not terribly impressed with the engineering of the way the pipes attach to the stove. Both the pipe and stove cost a small fortune, why can't they come up with a good secure fitting that doesn't require silicone, screws, etc. It seems like a nice clamp on system would be much easier to work with and also much more secure.

Also, how about some better instructions with these things - they're awful. I guess that's their way of ensuring their dealers get installation / service work.

Status
Not open for further replies.