Harman Accentra Pellet Stove Insert - Not Starting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dan_H

Jan 10, 2021
Mahoning, PA
Hi All,

New to this forum - so hello from Mahoning, PA!

Hoping to get some help with my pellet stove insert - Harman Accentra - manufacturing date is Aug 2005. I have been a wrench on my cars and motorcycles for decades, so not afraid to dig in on what the stove needs, just hitting a wall as to the issue, so here I am - looking for some advice . . .

There appears to be more than one issue, so I will try to give a detailed rundown of what happened and the list of repairs so far. The stove has been working fine for the 5 years since I have owned the house it came with including the cold season of last year. In the late spring of 2020, a rat made it's way into the house and I spent 2 weeks chasing it down. The critter started to make a nest on the back of the stove, gathering nuts and tearing the flue pipe insulation. The rat was eliminated and I replaced the insulation around the flue pipe as well as replacing the lower gasket on the bottom frame that the stove rests upon. I cleaned up all the mess the rat made, checked all the wiring carefully to make sure nothing was chewed. One sensor wire that goes to the stove pipe blower motor was frayed but not cut through - cut and re-soldered those wires up. All seemed well - cleaned up and put back in place.

Fast forward to late fall 2020 - filled and tried to start the stove - nothing. The LED's on the indicator panel were flashing - checked for the codes online and they were associated with a pressure leak on the flue blower. Pulled the stove back out, cleaned the flue pipe with a flue-pipe cleaning kit - all the way to the top of the pipe. Also - replaced the foam seal gasket where the stove meets the stove frame / flue pipe. Plugged it back in and the flashing codes were gone but it appeared to be stuck in start-up mode. The feed motor light does not come on during this startup process and the auger does not rotate. Pulled the unit back out, cleaned up the auger area (it moves freely by hand from behind). Still in the same mode - startup with no light for feed motor and the feed motor does not start turning.

SO - any advice on how to diagnose the stove would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Dan

Does the self test report any blink codes?

Welcome to the forum.

With the auger not coming on here are some things to check.
Vacuum switch hose is plugged at the fitting on the stove end. Clean and check that fitting with a wire. If this doesn't work make a jumper wire and install it temporarily on the vacuum switch. Make sure you unplug the stove when you do this. Once the jumper is installed plug the stove back in and try to start it. If it starts it's a vacuum issue. Either a bad switch (not likely) a bad delivery tube or one or more of the following.
Stove is dirty or plugged and needs to be cleaned. Most likely culprit.
Intake or exhaust piping is plugged. Second most likely culprit.
Combustion fan is not operating at the right rpm or at all. Needs new fan or if the fan is good then the board could be not delivering the proper voltage and then the board could be bad.
Fire and or ash door is leaking badly and the gaskets need to be replaced.

Good luck and welcome to the forum,
Ron

Appreciate your getting back to me . . .

Jackman - no blink codes in test mode.

Railfanron - wow - those are a lot of possibilities. Fire door gasket was replaced two years ago - still good. Exhaust piping / fan box are clean. Dirty stove - removed all the plates inside the front side (viewable inside the fire door) - cleaned all of that - was not too dirty. Opened up the side door on the back of the unit where the pellets are delivered - also very clean. Auger is clean - nothing jammed there. What else can I open up to look for carbon / dirt? Vacuum switch - did not see one but will pull it out and check for that. Combustion fan - will check that as well.

More to follow - thanks

Dan