harman accentra problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbyj

Jan 13, 2011
ny
i have an accentra pellet stove and i love it. lately it seems the pellets get jammed up. i can leave the slide plate open and suck out the pellets with a vacuum(on a cold stove, lesson learned). after that it will work for a while but jams again. every rotation of the auger produces a clunking noise. i think there is a buildup in the auger tube or on the auger and want to remove the auger to check this. i took off the chain tension wheel but cannot get the auger sprocket off. i loosened the bolt that protrudes from the side of the sprocket. it is loose put will not come off. can anyone tell me how to get this sprocket off or point me to any site that has repair info? the standard brochure doesn't have any info about this. thanks.

undo the bolt on the auger sprocket all the way...should just pull straight off after that. The bolt is threaded into the auger shaft.

Have u cleaned out the fines in access door on the feeder

Check this when unit is off..
How old is the unit? Is it a free standing unit?
Place your hand in the hopper area right where the pellets would drop to verify that it feels clean (silky smooth) not a dirty feeling and report back.

ok, finally got the sprocket off problem was the bolt hits the sprocket on the way out. anyway, sprocket off, chain off, bolts for auger off, but auger won't come out. do i have to bang it out? also, how can i access the feed plate mechanism? thanks again, you've been a big help.

On a free standing, it's inside the right rear cover, above and behind the drive chain for the auger. It's the only wing nut used on the stove. Not cleaning it at least once or twice a year will produce symptoms exactly as you describe. When you remove this cover a lot of fines will dump out onto the distributor blower, cover it first with paper. Of course make sure the stove is unplugged before doing any of this.

smwilliamson said:
There are two bolt which hold the auger assembly in place to the weldment. Remove those and the whole assembly will come out. Sometimes you have to tap on the auger from the burn pot. My guess is that you are going to have a gummy stove up in the feed drop.

X2!

found the problem!! opened the access door where the fines collect and it was packed full. cleaned them out and reassembled the stove and it works like brand new. no more jamming and shut downs. thanks to all for great advice!

a tip for all from the voice of experience: NEVER try to suck out a pellet jam using your vacuum from a hot stove. you can guess what happened.

Three3 said:
And where is this access door on a Harman Accentra insert?

Unplug. Pull the insert out as far as it will come out without "derailing". Once it is pulled out you will see on the right side down low a plate in the area of the auger that has one wing head bolt holding it on. Remove the bolt and plate and you can see the back end of the auger. I'm sure you'll have to vacuum out. Good luck.

Big thanks. I'll get onto it tomorrow.

Everything seems to work fine once the stove gets into steady state, but I go through a big feed hassle if I ever let it run dry.

I cleaned it out, and all is OK now. I wouldn't describe the place as really packed, but there was a good bit of stuff in it. I'll be sure to include it in the end-of-season cleanout this year.

Alot of people over look the feeder cleanout. I check it on every Harman I service.

I'll be sure to clean it out again at the end of the season. I do wish the owners manual was a bit more user friendly. They show pictures of important places, but the pictures are often such closeups that it's not really clear where to look.

very true. I tell people to go onto the harman website, seems to be better info on cleaning on the website. 50% or more of my service calls are due to stove needing cleaned. Either it is plugged up and wont run or igniter burned out from burnpot bieng a mess and over working igniter ect. that is why when you post a problem the first thing everybody goes for is cleaness of stove.

I wish mine was as easy as a clean out! I will find out Friday! Lol I actually can't wait ... to bad its gonna cost me

what is wrong with it??

Here is what mine looked like the first time I opened'er up after three months of use. I will be cleaning this a little more frequently after this post ....

Attachments

• Fines Resized.jpg
    Fines Resized.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 437
First thing that it neeeds is a draft check, that will tell alot.

Nevada said:
Here is what mine looked like the first time I opened'er up after three months of use. I will be cleaning this a little more frequently after this post ....

Should there be pellets in this chamber? Yesterday, I had a similiar problem when no more pellets were delivered to the burnpot. This has happened a couple of times and the solution was to empty the hopper and remove pellets that were bridging. The Stove Chow pellets that I have are quite long and contain a fair amount of fines. Unfortunately, yesterday that did not solve the problem, so I pulled the insert out and vacumed the feeder chamber. There were a number of pellets in there. The hopper was full at that time. I'm not sure what is supposed to be in there. Regardless, after cleaning it out, I hooked it back up and it ran fine.

...Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.