Harman Accentra startup feed rate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lineman30

Feeling the Heat
Jul 9, 2010
Northeastern Oklahoma
I've noticed my Accentra doesn't push enough pellets at start up. It takes up to 10 or so minutes until it ignites and it has to cycle again to get enough so it will ignite. I've also turned it to test so it would purge more into the pot. I have the feed rate set on 4. Just wondering what could be the problem. I've watched YouTube videos and their stoves fill the burn pot area. Ive had this stove for bout 2 months and still learning. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have my Accentra FS just a few days and have the feed rate at 2 with no problem. I think it always takes a few minutes to ignite - at least it did in the dealer's showroom when he demonstrated the stove for us. This morning mine lit up in about 4/5 minutes.

Make sure the burn pot holes are clear. If you are using bad pellets with a lot of ash remove the thumb screws and vacuum out the area under the burn pot, where the igniter is located.

Eric

It's not the igniter. It just seems there isn't enough pellets pushed into the burn pot area. It sits there after the initial feed and then after 5 or so mins it then feed motor starts cycling. I watched it this morning and there were very little pellets and I waited a while then decided to turn it to test to push more pellets into the burn pot. After that the fire took off.

Lineman30 said:
It's not the igniter. It just seems there isn't enough pellets pushed into the burn pot area. It sits there after the initial feed and then after 5 or so mins it then feed motor starts cycling. I watched it this morning and there were very little pellets and I waited a while then decided to turn it to test to push more pellets into the burn pot. After that the fire took off.

As far as I know, the start up process is a pre-determined cycle, meaning the amount of time the auger turns to fill the burnpot is a set amount of time. I remember somewhere that a dip switch setting might control that time length. Hopefully one of the Harman Techs here can help you out. The feed rate setting has no effect on the starting process.

Harman Lover 007 said:
Lineman30 said:

As far as I know, the start up process is a pre-determined cycle, meaning the amount of time the auger turns to fill the burnpot is a set amount of time. I remember somewhere that a dip switch setting might control that time length. Hopefully one of the Harman Techs here can help you out. The feed rate setting has no effect on the starting process.

That's what I figured about a pre determined time on start up. Could it be a feed motor not giving all the revolutions required for start up?

I've noticed the same thing. Seems like it doesn't feed enough pellets into the burn pot on startup. Should we be "priming" the burn pot with a handfull of pellets before turning on? Eventually it gets a good flame going but initially the flame is tiny and contained in the burnpot for quite a while.

That's how my stove is like. Tiny at startup and it takes a while to build up. If you watch YouTube videos and their startup is like my CB 1200 was at startup. I'm new to harmans but I like all the features. Why I'm so concerned is I had and error 6 last week and all I could think was maybe my startup fire was weak and it went out causing poor combustion. Stove has been cleaned through and through. Before I put it in the house I tore it apart inside and out

Ahhhh. There is a dip switch setting that can be changed to make the start up feed increase or decrease. I need to research.

Eric

Lineman30 said:
That's how my stove is like. Tiny at startup and it takes a while to build up. If you watch YouTube videos and their startup is like my CB 1200 was at startup. I'm new to harmans but I like all the features. Why I'm so concerned is I had and error 6 last week and all I could think was maybe my startup fire was weak and it went out causing poor combustion. Stove has been cleaned through and through. Before I put it in the house I tore it apart inside and out

Are you using Harman's feed through for the vent and OAK, if so make sure that the block off material for the OAK has been completely removed.

Tell me what the first three dip switches are set at.

Eric

SmokeyTheBear said:
Lineman30 said:

Are you using Harman's feed through for the vent and OAK, if so make sure that the block off material for the OAK has been completely removed.

I have a homemade OAK that feeds through the thimble. All is clear and in working order.

kinsman stoves said:

Eric

Ok, your going to have to educate me on dip switches.

Lineman30 said:
kinsman stoves said:

Eric

There are 8 dip switches on the control panel. They are located on the outside portion of the actual board (you have to remove the board from the stove and gently pull it apart) not what you see when you are looking at the dials. They are small. If this is above your comfort level of working on the unit call your dealer or a Harman Dealer. I can walk you through it over the phone but the dip switches do a lot to control different things on the stove and can be adjusted but it is not a 2 minute process.

Eric

kinsman stoves said:
Lineman30 said:
kinsman stoves said:

Eric

There are 8 dip switches on the control panel. They are located on the outside portion of the actual board (you have to remove the board from the stove and gently pull it apart) not what you see when you are looking at the dials. They are small. If this is above your comfort level of working on the unit call your dealer or a Harman Dealer. I can walk you through it over the phone but the dip switches do a lot to control different things on the stove and can be adjusted but it is not a 2 minute process.

Eric

Well, I'm currently at work but I'm very comfortable working on my stove ( I'm a electrical lineman). Don't really have a dealer since I bought it used. So which switches do I adjust??

Lineman30 said:
kinsman stoves said:
Lineman30 said:
kinsman stoves said:

Eric

Eric

Well, I'm currently at work but I'm very comfortable working on my stove ( I'm a electrical lineman). Don't really have a dealer since I bought it used. So which switches do I adjust??

Ok Sparky, First let me know what they are one. There are numerous settings involving the three switches in different combos.

Eric

kinsman stoves said:
Lineman30 said:
kinsman stoves said:
Lineman30 said:
kinsman stoves said:
Tell me what the first three dip switches are

Eric

Ok Sparky, First let me know what they are one. There are numerous settings involving the three switches in different combos.

Eric[/quot

When I get home this afternoon I'll take board out a check the settings And post the results. Is the board easy to get out?? Do you need all 8 settings?

just the first three. Take your time and unplug before you begine.

off, off, off is preset
off, off, on will give you a -21 second preload
off, on, off will give you a -43 second load
off, on, on will give you a -64 second load

on, off, off will give you a +21 seconds
on, off, on will give you a +43 seconds
on, on, off will give you a +64 seconds
on, on, on will give you a +85 seconds

Eric

Ok...do you make the adjustments with power? I've looked at some pics of the board and are they the red switches on the back of the board??

Lineman30 said:
Ok...do you make the adjustments with power? I've looked at some pics of the board and are they the red switches on the back of the board??

Unplug before any servicing of the stove. Yes they are the small switches and do not be rough with them.

eric

Ok think I'm understanding. The pic shows 2 off set and 4 in a row. You said the first 3? The first 3 of the 4 in the row are used? And when you say "on off" are they marked on board? Which setting do you recommend? I also forgot I do appreciate your help "thank you"

Eric, are the dip switch settings the same for the xxv? I would REALLY appreciate the switch assignments for my xxv. You could PM them to me or I can PM you my email address and you could send me a quick picture if the dip switch page. Thanks.

lbcynya said:
Eric, are the dip switch settings the same for the xxv? I would REALLY appreciate the switch assignments for my xxv. You could PM them to me or I can PM you my email address and you could send me a quick picture if the dip switch page. Thanks.

Hey can I jump on the band wagon too for my P43??? Why does Harman keep this info so top secret anyway? Pleeeaaasssseee?

Ok... Think I'm looking at the wrong part. Is the switches on a red block w/ 8 white switches by the feed adjust knob (back side of board)? When you said first 3, how are you reading them? Left to right or right to left?

by chance have you inspected the feeder body (specifically the fines box) to see if its full up, restricting the flow of pellets? There is also a chance that the slide plate was removed for cleaning and reinstalled upside down, which will slow the feeding process. The only units I have ever had to adjust the dip switches for are central heating units.

Status
Not open for further replies.