Harman Accentra to use or not use themostat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When you say "using the thermostat", I guess you mean the tempature probe?

The tempature probe must be installed to run in "Room Temp" mode.

No problem, I just wanted to make sure we were talking about the smae thing.

Whether you run your stove in "stove temp" or "Room temp" mode is subjective to your environment, and your preferences. I have my Harman Advance running in "Room Temp" mode using the 60" temp probe. If it is disconnected and you attemp to run the stove in "Room temp" mode, you will get a 4-blink error status and the stove will not operate until the thermister (temp) probe is installed.

You can extend the length of the probe if the 60" does not get you to an optimal location for sensing the room tempature, or you can coil it up behind the stove. I think the Accentra recomends that if you coil it up, to use a wire tie to hold the probe end near the intake vent plate. If you decide to extend it, check your manual to make sure you stay within the maximum length and use the correct wiring (I think thermostat 18-2 wire) but you should check the manual.

I use mine with my Accentra and it works pretty well. The installer just coiled it up and has it sticking up about 2" above the top of the stove in the back. I would say it keeps my room in a 5 degree window of where I have it set. I thought I saw in the manual that even if your not going to use the room temp setting that you should still have the probe hooked up- or something to that nature.

I've attached mine at the same level on the wall that my thermistate for gas burner is located, which is a little more than half way up the wall. With Harman Advance on room temp mode it keeps temp between 1 to 2 degrees of set temp of 70 (digital thermometer placed near stove reads it to 10ths of a degree)
No windows near it and it doesn't catch a draft. Cooler air on the floor, warmer air near the ceiling, adjust accordingly for even heat.

thank you all for your input. I installed stove this past Sat and did not attach probe (bag with it had been moved and I actually forgot to do it) so have been running stove on "stove temp" mode, but my wife has been complaining that house gets to hot. I had my settings on L on Stove Temp dial and Temp set at 60 degree with feed adjuster on 3. I do notice with these that blower runs constantly and temp in room gradually increases.

so looks like I will hook up probe and try using "room temp". Will do more reading to educate myself on differences between the two.

Room Temp rocks! The stove will automatically maintain the set point by adjusting to fire size as needed. And shut itself off if it gets too warm and relight when needed (provided you have your igniter switch on Auto).

Set it and forget it. Room Temp mode, 72*, feed rate on 4.

I have been using the stove temp on my accentra insert. I would rather set a constant low fire then have it cycle on an off in this moderate weather. When it gets colder i will probably switch to room temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.