Harman Accentra Vs Quafrafire Classic bay 1200

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

janm

Apr 4, 2011
Ct Shoreline
I have a choice of purchasing a Harman Accentra refurbished for $2000, or buy a new 2008 (never used) Quadra Fire Classic Bay 1200 for $1200 - no kidding..
Any suggestions?
Heating a split level home, 2100 sqf. Placing it on lower level. Current electric baseboard heat..

Hello there, am a CT dealer, not quad or harman, am very familiar with both. Quad has more BTU rating, but 2100 sqft is a bit much for both. The quad MV AE, Enviro M55, Harman P68 is better choices 55k Btu or more. The classic bay 1200 is a real workhorse, nice stove. For that price, I'd rather have the quad.

Stovelark
Enviro EF3 been around a long time, proven
Enviro 1700 wood, great value for woodstoves

I'd check warrantees out.......HHT (parent company of both units) actually only extends the warrantee period of a unit for a certain amount of time, SOLD or UNSOLD. Refurbs generally have a full warrantee, dep on when it was manufactured. Same for the Quad. i would reccommend a larger unit as well......p61a or p68.

I heat a 2,180 sq ft Ranch with my Quad, Only use it on Low heat. Only time it gets bumped up to Medium is around the single digits. Never use the stove in High. . The furnace in my sig is not "in-line" yet. 3 seasons with the CB 1200. 4 tons a year (give or take), keeps my home at 76 all year. For that price, I would buy another one. Good stove. Very "Simple" to operate. My old Grandfather could figure out the 3 Heat settings. Harman also makes a quality product, not putting them down. But BTU for BTU, the Quad is a better deal because of price.

Cold V pound for pound, quality I would go for the Harman, and an Aquavit. Born in the USA or China ?

I have a Quad Castile insert, and it's ok, it's simple to operate, easy to fill and have not had problems, but I wish I'd have gotten the Harmon. In my opinion the Harmon is a better quality unit and its a workhorse.

I only heat 860 sq feet on one level but my Quad Classic 1200 will chase ya outta here :) I LOVE MY QUAD!! That's an awesome price on a new Classic ;-)

For those prices, buy them both.

Eric

08 was the year Quad switched production on the 1200 from Washington to China. If the serial number starts with 007 then it was produced in the States. If there is a 'C' in the serial number than it was made in China. My experience was they didn't have any extra issues with the switch. But some people would rather purchase a US made product.

I would go with the Harman Accentra. The Harman "underfire" feed system is by far more supirior than any top feed stove. Harman makes their stoves very easy to clean, maintain, and simple to operate. There is no programing or setup, everything is built right in to the stove for running it on a pounds per hour setting or a thermostat setting. Harman uses thermaster probe technology so there is no need to buy wall thermostats or programable thermostats. Also with the Harman you have full control over your feed rate and your convection/distribution blower speed. The Accentra is only a 40,000 Btu stove but for that low btu output...it is a workhorse. And 99% of problems with Harman machines are caused by cleaning issues, user error, or not being plugger into a surge protector.

Thank you all for your advice!
Went with the Accentra, just had it delivered, and will get it up and running Saturday - just in time for 80 degree weather I hope! :)

ColdViking said:
Thank you all for your advice!
Went with the Accentra, just had it delivered, and will get it up and running Saturday - just in time for 80 degree weather I hope! :)

Congrats on the Harman Accentra. You got yourself an excellent stove. Im also hoping for that 80 degree weather!

Status
Not open for further replies.