Harman Accentra vs XXV, any comparison experience?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Defiant

Vermont Castings Geek
Dec 5, 2007
Old Lyme CT
Hi all,
Been working on someone selling a XXV for the past month (burned all other Harmans except this model), new crated produced in 2011. He wanted 3500 and I offered him 2500. I counterd with 3000 he told me stove sold and my offer was way too low.
A month goes by and I see the same stove and offer 2750, in which he replies that someone was going to give him 2900 but was giving him a hard time and if he did not commit by the next day the lowest he would go is 2800. To make a long story short, said I will take it for 2800, my wife and I take the hour and a half trip and purchase a brand new XXV to replace the 2002 Accentra. You will never guess what I sold the Accentra for. Stove treated us great. Took 4 of us to swap out. Will post photo's later.

What are you getting at?

The XXV is a pretty stove. I like the cast iron "real" wood stove look. Does the cast body get hot enough to act as a radiant heater, or is it basically a hot air blower like the rest?

PA_Clinker said:
The XXV is a pretty stove. I like the cast iron "real" wood stove look. Does the cast body get hot enough to act as a radiant heater, or is it basically a hot air blower like the rest?

Sides don't get woodstove hot, but mid 100's temp I would say. Openings at top will also allow it to convect the heat not forced by the blower. Most don't know it's a pellet stove until I tell them.

PA, I was extremely happy with the Accentra, the XXV put me over the top. What a great unit for the sun room, looks like a wood burner, heavy cast radiant, and quiet. Rick not really trying to get at anything, ended up getting a stove for 200 less than my initial offer, maybe I did not explain in a manner you would understand.

so, what input are you looking for? Didnt see any questions there....around here, XXV's go for about $3499 every day of the week, and that often includes 2 tons of pellets (value around $500 or so), and, Harman has a $100 coupon on their website as well, so, thats about $2899 or so......cant say its an amazing deal, especially considering the fact that if you have any warrantee issues, its likely the original seller isnt gonna runout there and fix it, so, you will either have to fix it yourself, or try to coerce a local dealer into doing the warrantee work for you (and they dont have to). Warrantee work is a money losing deal with most dealers, so they generally dont jump to do warrantee work for folks who didnt buy the unit from them.

Not a bad deal, but at only about $100 off market, not a super deal either. When you consider the distance to the warranteeing dealer, probs not that great a deal.

@Defiant:

I think the problem was that your title asked for "experienced input" but the body of your post contained no question.

My apologies, I guess I was looking for a comparison from someone that has burned both these units. LW I do the warrantee work for the local Harman dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.