Harman Advance going through Pellets Fast

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick5472

Oct 19, 2008
Columbia, MD
I have been burning my stove here in Maryland since October mainly non-stop. I usually go through a 40 pound bag of pellets in 24-26 hours. I have had my stove set on room temp and the feed at 4. Lately I see that I have burned up a bag of pellets in agout 12 hours. I cleaned the stove thouroughly and still seem to have this same rate of burn. I have been using Greenway Premium pellets all along. I don't recall this problem last year. I am going to try to put the feed down to 3 and see if that helps. It is definitely getting colder outside but I have been only heating with the pellet stove. Now I am also using the gas furnace. Any other suggestions or comments out there?

Rick5472 said:
I have been burning my stove here in Maryland since October mainly non-stop. I usually go through a 40 pound bag of pellets in 24-26 hours. I have had my stove set on room temp and the feed at 4. Lately I see that I have burned up a bag of pellets in agout 12 hours. I cleaned the stove thouroughly and still seem to have this same rate of burn. I have been using Greenway Premium pellets all along. I don't recall this problem last year. I am going to try to put the feed down to 3 and see if that helps. It is definitely getting colder outside but I have been only heating with the pellet stove. Now I am also using the gas furnace. Any other suggestions or comments out there?

put your stove on stove temp not room... room temp the stove works to keep that temp.. so if you open an outside door for to long the sensor will make the stove kick on high ... because it is reading the temp change... i set my feed on 2.5 on stove temp around 1.5-2.5 depending on the forecast if is is gonna get really cold i turn it up BEFORE the temp plunge

iceman- Thanks for the info but I am not opening doors so the temp should be what I set it to for room temp. I have tried stove temp mode and that seems to blast us out of the room and I have to keep adjusting the stove to accomodate. I may give this another try though. Last year I had no problems in room temp mode. The stove kept the room temp around 72 all thi time. this year it seems that if I do this the hopper is empty in 12 hours. I do need to experiment more I guess.

Perhaps this years pellets don't burn as hot as what you had last year and the stove is burning more of them to maintain the 72 degree set point.

keep your feed rate on 4, and leave it there....and only use the temp dial to adjust the heat and pellet consumption.....feed rate dial really has nothing to do with pellet usage

Rick5472 said:
iceman- Thanks for the info but I am not opening doors so the temp should be what I set it to for room temp. I have tried stove temp mode and that seems to blast us out of the room and I have to keep adjusting the stove to accomodate. I may give this another try though. Last year I had no problems in room temp mode. The stove kept the room temp around 72 all thi time. this year it seems that if I do this the hopper is empty in 12 hours. I do need to experiment more I guess.

My Harman Accentra when on stove temp doesn't get anywhere near "blasting you out of the room" , wish it did... Lost power last Jan. and "stove temp" was the only setting I had ever used, room was 66* and falling when I switched it over to room temp, and three hours later it was 75* and climbing

When on "stove temp" the feed rate knob does effect the fire...

keep your feed rate on 4, and leave it there….and only use the temp dial to adjust the heat and pellet consumption…..feed rate dial really has nothing to do with pellet usage

Seems to me that if I keep the feed at 4 that is when the pellets are burned faster for some reason. I have always used 4 in the past and haven't seen the usage like this before at similar temps. I have tried the feed around 3 since the last post and I will have to see how the usage goes. I haven't changed the room temp setting but of course we are having a snow storm here in Maryland today....:)

Status
Not open for further replies.