Harman Advance Problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just installed a new igniter tried to start stove, but It wouldnt light off after 30 mins. Combustion fan was working......auger was working, I looked at the igniter with a mirror and it was glowing red.....the burn pot was hot....but not hot enough to light pellets. This is used stove. Is it possible the ignitor steel cage assembly is assembled wrong and isnt directing the hot air on to the burn pot?

Question 1 . Usually how long does it take from the time you turn the stove on until the time you see flames?....just a round about figure

Question 2. Does the burn pot actually glow red from the igniter?

Question 3. Has anyone had this issue or anything like it?

Note.....I didnt have the rear hinged access covers on it ( but cant see how that would matter)....but the the main glass door was closed...the pellet lid was closed and the igniter/ burn pot access door was installed.

under the burn pot gets full of ash and it will take long to light but yours is clean?

Make sure the air holes in the burn pot are clear. I use a small piece of 12 ga copper wire...
My P43 will ignite in 5 minutes +/-

check the air intake flapper... if it is not flapping inwards when the comb fan kicks on, then the thing will not light, just get smokin hot. Sometimes, especially if you have a power fail, the thing can get sticky from excess smoke or condensation, making it stick in the closed position. Its inside a 2" round fitting next to your feeder assy.... One other thing it could be is a door/ashpan gasket... it they leak too much air the thing will take a long time to ignite as well.

Did you mount the igniter bracket upside down?

Did you get a Harman Ignitor from a Harman dealer or the TEMPCO Heater Cartridge without fins? I think it also can be installed upside down in the Carriage (or bracket). I was told by a Harman dealer they used to come with the fins and Carriage but now just with the fins.

Without the fins it is a Tempco "heater cartridge" and with the fins it is a "Harman Ignitor."

Mine usually started in about 5 minutes.

better luck,
Jay :)

Boom said:
Did you get a Harman Ignitor from a Harman dealer or the TEMPCO Heater Cartridge without fins? I think it also can be installed upside down in the Carriage (or bracket). I was told by a Harman dealer they used to come with the fins and Carriage but now just with the fins.

Without the fins it is a Tempco "heater cartridge" and with the fins it is a "Harman Ignitor."

Mine usually started in about 5 minutes.

better luck,
Jay :)

The new igniter without the carriage is stock from tempco, I haven't found the part number yet but I'll find it. Harman may have asked tempco to make it special

Status
Not open for further replies.