Harman advance question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rsvmille

Nov 20, 2011
New Fairfield, CT
I have a new Harman advance pellet stove. I noticed recently when I close the front door, the latch seems hesitant to close. I also noticed there is a bracket with a spring attached on the right side. Should that bracket move when closing the door? Should the bolts be partially loose with the spring moving slightly when opening and closing the door? Or should the bolts be tight not letting the spring move when opening and closing the door? Hope this make sense. I can take pics if that would help.

not totally unusual. that latch can be challenging. its a big door and needs to seal across the whole thing. Do check the hinges to make sure the dorr hasn't shifted upward a bit, that can make it a bit tougher to close.

Do yourself a favor and let the dealer mess with it. I changed Glass & door gaskets mine Tuesday. An hour to change the gaskets, 4 hours to get the door to close correctly. I finally found that the "flap" on the Harman gasket was holding the left side out about 3/16" and that held the right side out over 1/4". I also know that glass does not like to bend.

rsvmille said:
I have a new Harman advance pellet stove. I noticed recently when I close the front door, the latch seems hesitant to close. I also noticed there is a bracket with a spring attached on the right side. Should that bracket move when closing the door? Should the bolts be partially loose with the spring moving slightly when opening and closing the door? Or should the bolts be tight not letting the spring move when opening and closing the door? Hope this make sense. I can take pics if that would help.

My Advance is from Dec 2011, so it's practially new also. My front door works the same as yours, it seems to be a little too tight/too hard to close. I had the dealer here to replace my auger motor because it was too loud, and I asked him about the door, he said it's totally normal for it to be that way.

Over time and with use the seal on the door will compress and it will close easier. Third season with mine and still seals great and easy to latch.

I've had my Advance for a few weeks now. It's a little tougher to close than expected. I find if I lift the handle a little, it engages much easier. It's probably just a little too much weight on the hinges.

Thanks so far. Can one of you guys look on the right side of the stove where the latch is? Is that bracket with the spring moving when you open and close the door? Or should that bolt be tight, not letting the bracket move?

Also, when the latch closes on the bolt with the bushings, should the bushing roll as you close the handle, or do the stay tight? It seems if I loosen the bolt just a little the 2 bushing roll a little making the door close a little easier.

I think I need to tale a pic to show what I'm talking about?

Our's is an early model so I don't have a spring, but the bushing should be allowed to spin slightly.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Should this bracket move back and forth when opening and closing the door. Or should that top bolt be tight not allowing movement of the spring? By the top bolt, I mean the one under the the left side of the spring.

Sorry, first chance I've had to reply. Conveniently, it's so warm in CT, my stove shut off.

My spring moves about 1/2 an inch when I close the door. So the bracket does move a bit.

jcayer said:
Sorry, first chance I've had to reply. Conveniently, it's so warm in CT, my stove shut off.

My spring moves about 1/2 an inch when I close the door. So the bracket does move a bit.

Yeah, my stove shut off today as well. Thanks jcayer and everyone else for your help. I loosened that bolt just a little letting that spring move. Now the door seems to close much smoother,

Status
Not open for further replies.