Harman Advance - Wont run

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FredJ

Aug 6, 2006
I just started my Harman Advance for the year the other day. It seemed to run ok but a few hours after running it had blinking lights ( Im not sure which - I didnt find it myself). It had warmed up and I didnt need the stove so it was just shut off. Later, I assumed by looking it hadnt fed pellets ( no fresh ones in the auger near the pot).

Today I am trying to start it since heat is needed ( this is my only source), and it wouldnt start. I turned it on then left for about 1/2 hour and when I came back nothing.. Well just the Following ( for that entire time)

The Combustion fan comes on for about a second, I get the normal hum ( i think thats the Combustion fan - not positive) then the fan shuts off. A few seconds later the same thing repeats. Once in a while the feed motor turns on very briefly during this repetitive cycle, but generally just the Combustion fan. One time everything started running for about 15 seconds properly, I manually turned the knob to off to see if it would restart properly, and it just went back to the old 1 second Cycle.

After much spinning motors by hand, Unplugging for 5 minutes, twisting all knobs, it finally started and has been running for about 20 minutes, but I have no confidence it will continue to run

My Thought is that the Feed motor is Bad, but I want to get other input.

Any Ideas?

Also- Where can I purchase parts Cheaply ( VS the Harman dealer). I remember a couple years ago someone had found a supplier for motors, but I never wrote it down of course.

Thanks!

Unplug stove , plug it back in and start stove up. Wait for the blinks and remember the number of blinks and reply back.

The blinks only happened the one time after it had been running a while.
The other issue doesn't produce any blinks, it just goes on forever and ever with the 1 second on with combustion fan then off for a few seconds then on again- like its trying repeatedly to power up, cant do it so resets and trys again..

When was the last time the stove was cleaned COMPLETELY as per the owners manual?? And that doesn't mean just emptying the ash pan, and vacuuming out the burnpot.....have the blowers been cleaned? Have the heat exchangers been cleaned? Has the exhaust pipe been cleaned from stove to outlet? Has the hopper lid been checked for proper closing (loose pellets aren't holding it open slightly)? ESP probe clean & plugged in completely?

I did a pretty through cleaning a couple weeks ago. including exchangers ( at least behind the plates) cleaned the blowers best I could without removing them - but they were real clean anyway- no pets here for hair, so there was only very minor dust. removed all the fines, and cleaned all the ash off the Combustion blades and cleaned every inch of exhaust pipe then hit it with the leaf blower for good measure
The drive belt has minor play. and everything really looks as if the stove was only a couple weeks old.

Remove the ESP and clean it with glass cleaner. If that's not the problem, it could be the control board.

Status
Not open for further replies.