Harman Advanced Auger Squeek

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maude39918

Jul 14, 2008
southern NH
The auger on my Advanced has started to squeek at a certain point . i called the dealer and he told me to check the auger tube for carbon and to chisel out. I have done this multiple times and the same thing happens. I am wondering if it could be the bearing in hte auger, or could the carbon be deeper in the auger shoot. If so how does the auger come out of the unit? thanks for any help.

Hi Maude, Every now and then my auger squeaks too. It is not consistent though. When ever I clean my burn pot our and I notice any carbon build up, I clean it off right away to prevent tougher build ups. The auger is a tough place clean without gouging the metal. I have not tried it but some people claim that using dry graphite lube will help. If its carbon build up though, then probably not. I have not had my auger out yet but I was curious how easy this is because I would like to see what it looks like inside the tube (the amount of carbon, fines, etc.). There are many Advance owners here. Two of them have helped me greatly with information (ParotHead and BxPellet).

If you have cleaned the carbon off the front of the auger and around the front of the tube. Maybe you can spray some graphite in the tube from the front. That should get far enough in to see if the squeak at least temporarily stops. If it does, then I think you can eliminate the bearing being the problem.

Maude,
On my Advance the auger hasn't squeaked yet??, It does grunt , and make grinding sounds, I think it's pellets being crushed, that is what my dealer said also. when I do a cleaning I remove the pellets throw a handful of pellets into a plastic bag with dry graphite powder dump them into the hopper and run them through the auger, it quiets down, and seems to run smoother, also I scrap the front of the auger tube as best as I can, My next adventure will be to remove the auger to see what going on in there

BXpellet said:
...throw a handful of pellets into a plastic bag with dry graphite powder dump them into the hopper and run them through the auger...

I am assuming you are taking the pellets out of the bag BEFORE dumping
them into the hopper ;-)

I have had a Harman P68 for 4 weeks, and for 4 weeks I have had a squeak. The dealer has been out several times, everything that people have suggested on this site has been done, I believe. It only fixes the problem for about 8-10 hours. I don't know how old your stove is, but if it's new I am wondering if there is some kind of flaw in a part that Harman is using. What works is to put some graphite in the hopper, but that is not a fix necessarily. For me it starts after about 8 hours again. I hope for your sake it gets resolved quicker than mine. I have to wait for my dealer to contact Harman, and they are closed right now.

My advance also squeaks every so often. Here's what I do when it acts up:

Shut it down and give the burn pot a really good scraping (as others have suggested)

Take all the pellets out of the hopper and run the shop vac on the inside. Someone suggested that the squeaking is a sign of fines built up around the auger, so I try to suck out as many fines as I can.

If the squeaking continues, then I use graphite (dry or wet... both seem to work). Sometimes the squeaking doesn't stop immediately after adding the graphite, but after an hour it usually goes away.

Hope that helps!

tinkabranc said:
BXpellet said:
...throw a handful of pellets into a plastic bag with dry graphite powder dump them into the hopper and run them through the auger...

I am assuming you are taking the pellets out of the bag BEFORE dumping
them into the hopper ;-)

I been doing it wrong all this time.
You mean you can't burn the bag, now what am I going to do with all those pellet bags!!!

abrucerd said:
My advance also squeaks every so often. Here's what I do when it acts up:

Shut it down and give the burn pot a really good scraping (as others have suggested)

Take all the pellets out of the hopper and run the shop vac on the inside. Someone suggested that the squeaking is a sign of fines built up around the auger, so I try to suck out as many fines as I can.

If the squeaking continues, then I use graphite (dry or wet... both seem to work). Sometimes the squeaking doesn't stop immediately after adding the graphite, but after an hour it usually goes away.

Hope that helps!

When I burn what is left of the Greenway pellets it will start to clog my auger with fines and will start to make a moaning sound. When this starts to happen I will do a good cleaning of the stove and make sure to vacuum up as much as I can. I will put the hose near the chute near the auger and vacuum them out, I can actually see it pulling the fines up, I will do the same at the burn pot to pull as much as I can out. Before filling with pellets I will throw some graphite into the the hopper where the slide plate is and coat the hopper itself. My stove is usually quite and you can hardly hear it running after this.

Status
Not open for further replies.