Harman Auger whistle sound

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

newtonfb

Jan 23, 2013
I have this whistle kind of sound when the auger turns but only in a certain spot it seems. The video is in the link below. I can't figure it out. Stove has been great for a few years and no I can't figure out this sound that just started. I cleaned the pot(scraped also) and everywhere possible. Do I need to auger motor?

Auger sound video

Normally this is due to carbon in the auger tube in just the wrong spot. With my stoves it will often go away on its own, but sometimes it requires careful scraping around the end of the auger. Others suggest that burning the stove hot for a bit may solve the problem.

Reactions: jackman
Normally this is due to carbon in the auger tube in just the wrong spot. With my stoves it will often go away on its own, but sometimes it requires careful scraping around the end of the auger. Others suggest that burning the stove hot for a bit may solve the problem.
Some have sprinkled graphite into the hopper and that has stopped the squeal.