Harman ESP probe, Anything to know before removal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbmaine

Apr 4, 2009
USA
Hi, I'm well over my first ton on our P68 and have kept up with all the cleaning and maintance except for cleaning the ESP. It looks easy enough to do ( remove the screw and slide out) but before doing so I'd thought I'd check and see if there was anything in particular I needed to look out for while removing and reinstalling. Also, other than wiping it down is there anything else to cleaning it.
Thanks
JB

don't bend it, don't use any abrasives, I think thats it. good luck

You may already do this, and as should be done on all cleaning, especially vacuming.....Unplug the stove

I have done this a few times already, it really is easy.

edit: while you are in that area, remove the wingnut and silver plate on the feeder assembly just above and a little left of the ESP and clean out any fines that may be in there. Again, not hard to do.

Thanks for the replies, It looked simple to R&R but it's nice to get conformation.
Thanks again
JB

I have not needed to pull the ESP probe on my P-68. Would not do it unless absolutely necessary.
When I clean the stove (every 2 weeks), just remove the cover off the fan behind the ash container and use a XL bottle brush with a long handle
to reach back and brush out the exhaust duct and probe all the way back to the pipe.
This cleans the probe quite well and is very easy to do.
Then just vac out the loose ash from the duct.
I have run 20 tons of pellets through it and this method has worked great.
The brush I found that works well is a lab type and is 24" long and the bristles are 2" across.
Got it from Fischer Lab Supply. I can get the part number if you need a source.

sasquatch said:
I have not needed to pull the ESP probe on my P-68. Would not do it unless absolutely necessary.
When I clean the stove (every 2 weeks), just remove the cover off the fan behind the ash container and use a XL bottle brush with a long handle
to reach back and brush out the exhaust duct and probe all the way back to the pipe.
This cleans the probe quite well and is very easy to do.
Then just vac out the loose ash from the duct.
I have run 20 tons of pellets through it and this method has worked great.
The brush I found that works well is a lab type and is 24" long and the bristles are 2" across.
Got it from Fischer Lab Supply. I can get the part number if you need a source.

Thanks for the tip. I pulled the probe out a couple of days ago to clean it. It was pretty cruddy, but then I have been running the stove since October. It sounds like brushing it off every couple of weeks would be much easier. I'll look around locally for a brush.
Thanks again
JB

Status
Not open for further replies.