harman factory battery back up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Minister of Fire
May 8, 2011
midwest
i bought my accentra usex and the po threw in the harman battery back up with a marine grade battery. can i run the back up off my car battery to maintain the battery by starting and running the car?

Minus the hassle of having to run wires from your car to the house, or having to take the battery from the car into the house... yes. Any 12V battery will work. Bear in mind, a car battery is designed to provide power for short durations, then be fully charged (such as starting your car, or running the radio for a short time). Marine (i.e. deep cycle) batteries are designed to be run down then charged back up. More suited to the application. But if you are just using it for short periods, shouldn't be an issue, particularly if you run your car and keep the battery charged as you are using it to power your stove.

yeh that was the plan. run cables out to the car and hook up to car battery. then run the car as necessary. i just didnt know if it matters if the stove runs while the car alternator is running.

3650 said:
yeh that was the plan. run cables out to the car and hook up to car battery. then run the car as necessary. i just didnt know if it matters if the stove runs while the car alternator is running.

FWIW, a $15 trickle charger will do a better job of charging a battery than a car running at idle. Alternators don't put out much at idle. JMHO.

hmmm hard to trickle charge when power is out. plug trickle charger into inverter, maybe? lol

You should NEVER direct-charge a deep cycle battery. Use a charge controller inline (source - controller - battery) to charge a marine battery. This ensures it doesn't over-charge, blow up, catch fire, or melt your house down.
The type depends on the source you are working from -- solar, generator, wall outlet, etc
https://www.google.com/search?q=cha...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

a trickle charger simply 'maintains' a battery. It won't charge it enough to actually give you energey in it.

3650 said:
hmmm hard to trickle charge when power is out. plug trickle charger into inverter, maybe? lol

Sorry, misunderstood your post.

briansol said:
a trickle charger simply 'maintains' a battery. It won't charge it enough to actually give you energey in it.

Sorry, but that is incorrect. A 2 amp or 4 amp trickle charger will most definitely charge any automotive or marine battery. It's actually the best way to do it....slow and steady. Fast charging actually is bad for a battery.

well my marine battery wont hold a charge. im just looking to clamp the red cable from the harman inverter to the positive side of my car battery and the black cable to the negative side and then start the car and run the stove. this will be done in a power outage. will this work or will it damage something? stove? harman inverter? car?

Well, it's a pretty inefficient way to keep a battery charged, but will it work? Yes. Will your alternator be able to keep up at idle? Only way to know for sure is to try. But since most alternators are 40-65 amps, it should do the trick. Of course, idling your vehicle isn't exactly cheap, but it will do in a pinch. Better to save your pennies and get one of those little 2000w Honda gennies.

Plus, you need to ensure that your cabling going from the battery to the inverter is of sufficient size to handle the load. If it gets hot, STOP. But your safest bet is to buy a new deep cycle battery and hook it up to the Harman inverter. The great thing about that gizmo is that it will keep the stove running even if the power dies in the middle of a fire, as opposed to you having to run cables and get the stove going again.

I would recommend purchasing 6 volt golf cart batteries to run the stove when the power is out. I am now using (4) 6 volt batteries and get over 10 hours on them, and even then they are showing 11.6 v/dc on them. I don't need to go any longer than that because I then will be home to fire then generator up.

Status
Not open for further replies.