harman insert auger problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

russr

Jul 12, 2008
freetown ma
I have a Harman insert. This is its 4th heating season. It has always worked fine and gets regular cleaning. Once a year complete clean by dealer.
Last night it made a clunking sound and stopped wprking. When I turn it on, the auger moves a couple of degrees and stops. There is a clicking sound that seems to be coming from the back of the auger assembly. I pulled the stove and checked the compartment where the slider plate is and vacumned it out. I cant get through to a dealer/repair shop.
Any ideas as to what the problem might be?

Try emptying your bin and see if there is anything stuck in the auger. Also check the fines box in the rear and make sure its empty (I know, you had it professionally cleaned....humor me here, its a single wing nut!). The clocking sound could well be a stripped primary gear in the gearbox due to something causing the feed mechanism to bind.

I had the same problem with an Accentra - but it was not an insert. I figured the auger was binding for some reason.

My solution was to empty the hopper and vacuum out the hopper. Then, I opened up the slide plate and pulled that all apart - again, full vacuuming. Next, I pulled the drive chain off the auger - sure enough, the auger was very difficult to turn by hand.

I cleaned out the burn pot and placed the vacuum nozzle at the end of the auger inside the stove. By hand, I worked the auger back and forth. It was really difficult to turn, but slowly the obstruction worked free and got sucked out by the vacuum. Once the auger spun freely, I put the whole thing back together and it worked fine.

I also have a Harman insert. Last year I had an auger problem where my auger wouldn't turn. Since the stove was on warranty I called a Harman tech. He found a loose set screw, so the auger motor was turning but not the auger shaft. I haven't had a problem since he tightened the screw.
Don't know if this will help but I thought I'd pass it along.

Do not try to turn the auger motor by hand. disconnect the auger from the motor to do that. You will rip apart the gears in the transmission box.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.