Harman Owners Please Sound Off

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Irish916

Aug 17, 2011
Eastern PA, Southern Poconos
This is my first season with the Accentra 52i insert. Since we are still getting used to the unit, I'm curious what stove settings most of us use on our Harmans. Please note your stove settings below. Here are mine so far:

Feed Rate: 3
Ignition: Auto
Room/Stove Temp: Room Temp
Temp setting: 75degress (number 5)
Temp Control: Stock probe
Fan Speed: Low
Pellets: Hamers and Barefoots

During the middle of the winter it is room temp manual for me. Feed rate is always set to 4. I use wireless thermostat wired in series with room temp probe. Fan speed varies depending on what I want to achieve.

Shoulder season my settings vary depend on mood, predicted temps, predicted cloud cover, day of the week, etc.

I have a P43 in the basement and P35i in the living room. I have them set between 2 and 3 for feed rate, temp setting between 70/75, fan speed just past the L mark. Depending on the air temp outside I might bump it up just to heat up the house quick then turn it down.

I have the P43 running 24/7 feed at 2, temp at 72, just past the L mark I'm burning about a bag per day.

Play with it a few days see how fast it heats up on higher setting and how much pellets your going through.

First year with pellet stove, Accentra 52i insert. I live in a two story colonial 2300 sq.ft. Been able to keep central heat off so far this year. Down stairs front of house, holding at 71 degrees (family room where stove is located about 75, Kitchen where wireless thermostat is 73) and upstairs holding at 67. Using about 1.5 - 2 bags per day. Burning Dry Creek right now have used about 32 bags to date.

Feed Rate 4.5
Ignition:Auto
Room Temp Mode set at 85 with Wireless Thermostat in series with probe/Wireless set at 73
Fan Hi

This is my first season with the Accentra 52i insert. Since we are still getting used to the unit, I'm curious what stove settings most of us use on our Harmans. Please note your stove settings below. Here are mine so far:

Harman Accentra insert. Room temp, Temperature set on 70, stock temp sensor, fan high, auto ignition, feed 4, pellets Lignetics hardwood. 16 degrees last night, 69 to 70 inside, fan cycling well, used a coal scuttle of pellets overnight. In my five or six years with this unit I've played with it lots, decided that running it in room temp works best for me, and found the most critical variable is the placement of the room temp sensor.

Last edited:

First season with the 52i for me as well. Loving it so far. We got our electric bill last week, $99. No way it would have been that low using the electric furnace.

Feed Rate: 4
Temp setting: 73 degress
Fan Speed: As high as it will go
Pellets: O'Malleys

5 years in,

Harman Invincible RS, bought used $1000

manual ignition
feed rate 4
stove temp mode
temp set 7
fan high
Somersets

several box fans to circulate warm air, heats 4600 sq/ft to 70 degrees......add bag in the morning and one in the evening, not quite 2 bags a day.

Harman P61a in an unfinished basement. run it at heat setting 75 degrees (room temp), feed 3.5 to 4 (depends), and fan is always on high. It keeps the basement nice and warm but getting the air upstairs is a challenge regardless of fan configuration; 3 rooms would stay near 70 and the bath and bedrooms would be in low 60's (unless it was really cold and windy - then low 50's). On very cold/windy days, I would put it on Manual with basically the same feed/heat settings to make more heat available for the main floor.

This year I am letting the Harman do the work during the day, and the St. Croix will help out the upstairs during the night. Can already tell the Harman is resting at night (hardly any pellet usage - which I am good with) since I'm not drawing all the warm air up. When the real cold hits, I may be re-adjusting my strategy, but it works well for now (the whole 2 days I have had the upstairs stove - LOL).

Harman Accentra

When it's mild, I run the stove on room temp, feed rate 4.5 (because it doesn't really matter, the Harman adjusts it's own feed rate).

When it's continuously cold, I run on stove temp 2.5 to 3.5.

Second year in. I fire it up on Auto, but I switch it to manual. I don't like relying on the ignitor as it can be finicky unless it's recently been cleaned. I also don't want to wear out the ignitor. Keeps my entire 2 story 2700sf toasty warm

Ignition: Manual
Room/Stove Temp: Room Temp - high fan speed usually
Temp setting: 70ish degrees
Pellets: Barefoot

Last edited:
Second year in. I fire it up on Auto, but I switch it to manual. I don't like relying on the ignitor as it can be finicky unless it's recently been cleaned. I also don't want to wear out the ignitor. Keeps my entire 2 story 2700sf toasty warm

Ignition: Manual
Temp setting: 70ish degrees
Pellets: Barefoot

Question for you guys that run igniter on manual? When stove doesn't call for heat my accentra on manual shuts room blower off. When on auto it go through shut down sequence and continues to extract the heat with blower on until stove cools down. I want it to do this on manual so I don't loose heat up the chimney but into room. Am I doing something wrong?

Huh? When I don't need heat, I don't want it, and the stove stops pumping heat into the room. Why do you want the stove to continue pumping heat into the room when you don't want/need it? Keeping the fans going eventually blows "less hot" air into the room.

So no, I don't see a way to force the unit to operate like that. Doesn't make much sense to me on why you would want to.

ah my 2008 Harman does not have a Fan Speed setting or I missed something in the owners manual. Where do you set fan speed ?

Huh? When I don't need heat, I don't want it, and the stove stops pumping heat into the room. Why do you want the stove to continue pumping heat into the room when you don't want/need it? Keeping the fans going eventually blows "less hot" air into the room.

So no, I don't see a way to force the unit to operate like that. Doesn't make much sense to me on why you would want to.

If you have already made the heat and the flame is going to be on anyways to run like a pilot light, why not have those BTU's going into the house instead of out. I can't see any reason to let the BTU's go outside. I'll take all the heat I can get, even when I set thermostat to shut it down at a certain temp. Any extra heat will migrate through the rest of the house.

That "pilot" light is barely doing anything. By the time you draw the air up and out, you might be pumping "cold" (I say cold as a relative term) into the room.

That "pilot" light is barely doing anything. By the time you draw the air up and out, you might be pumping "cold" (I say cold as a relative term) into the room.

You could be right, but it seems like I get quite a bit of heat out of the stove when it is going through the shutdown mode on auto.

Maybe run it in stove temp mode/manual? Then it only tries to maintain an exhaust gas temperature and will do whatever your fan setting says to do. It won't care that your room is 95degrees and you're sweating, it will continue to throw whatever heat it's making into the room because the exhaus gas temperature is being maintained. I believe that's how it will work. Personally I am trying to maintain a certain temperature in my house and the stove does that very well on it's own in an efficient manner.

Reactions: Big papa
Maybe run it in stove temp mode/manual? Then it only tries to maintain an exhaust gas temperature and will do whatever your fan setting says to do. It won't care that your room is 95degrees and you're sweating, it will continue to throw whatever heat it's making into the room because the exhaus gas temperature is being maintained. I believe that's how it will work. Personally I am trying to maintain a certain temperature in my house and the stove does that very well on it's own in an efficient manner.

I am new to the pellet stoves this year but so far with my house and the open concept, I don't think I can get my room that the stove is in that hot when it gets into the 20's and lower out side. I have been able to keep my second floor at around 68 and the lower level at 71. Heat moves around my house real well so far. Thanks for your input, just trying to learn as much as I can.

My 2700sf is a VERY open floor plan with cathedral ceilings, so I get lots of circulation too. The room that the stove is in is by far the warmest by typically 4deg or so. You're worrying too much about the details. When it's -10F and wind blowing, the room my stove is in and the downstairs stay pretty constant. It's the upstairs where temps start to fall.

I keep mine on auto temp set to 70. I'm not concerned about the ignitor. I'd rather save
tons of pellets over time than have it constantly burning them when not needed ;-)

Harman P-68:

Feed Rate: 2 until recently. My wife and MIL both complain that anything below 72 degrees is cold, so they keep the temperature up too high all the time. In order to not go through all of the pellets I have (5 tons) before January, I figured I'd drop the feed rate to 2 and see if that slows down consumption. I doubt they're looking at that. Doesn't seem like it did. The other morning it was legitimately cold, so I put it back up to 3 where it usually is.
Temp setting: 75 degrees, at least
Temp Control: Stock probe, taped to the wall behind the stove and up about 3-4 feet.
Fan Speed: High, all the way up.
Pellets: La Crete (2 ton), Corinth (2 ton) and OK DF (1 ton).

I have found that the ignitor becomes unreliable too easily. I'd rather burn what I consider an insignificant amount of cheap pellets at the risk of the oil burner kicking on because the ignitor wasn't clean. YMMV.

Reactions: Superglyde
Feed Rate: 3.5+
Ignition: Auto during shoulder season, Skytech Thermostat set at 6 degree swing (3 above and 3 below set temp), temp setting 70 - Manual during heating season, 4 degree swing, temp setting 72
Room/Stove Temp: Room Temp - ALWAYS
Temp setting: 85 degress - Skytech handles actual temperature
Temp Control: Skytech
Fan Speed: High
Pellets: AWF - small pellet, hence the LOW feed rate of 3.5. Larger pellets require higher feed rates.

Room temp, manual after starting. Feed rate 3.5, blower halfway on the dial, temp set at 68 but using the stock probe on the hearth, foyer in front of the house is always at 70. upstairs at 68 thereabouts. Great stove, love it. Hamers Hot Ones are my favorite pellets but hard to come by sometimes. Turmans are next. Got a good deal on lignetics but very dusty and stove gets packed with a thick tan coating that takes a little longer to brush off and clean, but they burn good.

P35i second year.feed rate 3.8 stove mode wrks best for me set in 4 .fan half way.On cold days set up 5 or 6 stove mode fan on high.

Status
Not open for further replies.