Harman P series DIY ash pan tile insert. Easy!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

P38X2

Minister of Fire
Mar 11, 2012
Jaffrey, NH
This will obviously not work on older P series w/o the recessed area in the ash pan.

I saw the Harman slate insert choices at my local dealer along with some demo stoves with the slate installed and I thought they looked nice. Then I saw the price of the slate alone and said whhhhhhhat!!??? Then I was told about the "kit" required in addition to the cost of the slate that included the slate retaining/trim piece, a trim piece for the front edge of the little shelf under the door and another piece that goes on the face of the door. I asked if I could purchase the slate retaining piece separately. Nope, only available in the 3 piece kit. Sorry Harman, I'll own no other pellet stove, but bundling these 3 items is ridiculous. I appreciate their likely marketing idea is a one shot "complete dress-up kit" but at the same time I question why the hot air port grille is a separate part. Interesting.

Anyway, it became DIY time. I had a leftover 12x12 tile from my DIY hearth project and gave it a shot. In the end it was stupid easy providing you have a few tools.

The slate is 12"x6"

Step 1) Find a tile you like. Make sure its at least 12"x6". If so, skip to step 5. If not, hopefully it'll be a 12"x12".

Step 2) Mark your tile ON THE GOOD SIDE at the 6" point. If you choose a light colored tile you can just use a fine point sharpie marker. In my case, I used absolute black granite. It was very hard to see the line. I tried a tire crayon and aolso tried scratching the line in using a file. The granite didn't budge. I ended up carefully scoring a line using an angle grinder with a diamond blade. You could possibly also use a carbide tipped marking tool. Dont worry about the kerf of the blade, just mark and cut in the middle. Next step.

Step 3) Using an angle grinder with a diamond blade, start making the cut using controlled passes over the line. It helps to have the tile clamped to your bench. If you've never cut stone/tile this way, its not hard. Just keep a good grip on the grinder or you or your workpiece will pay. USE SAFETY GLASSES!!!!! Did I mention to USE SAFETY GLASSES!!?? If you don't I can arrange Norm Abrams to show up at your door and punch you in the mouth for being an idiot. Hearing protection is good too. Also, try and do this outside as you will have stone dust on anything within 15'. Make several passes cutting a little bit at a time til you're around 2/3-3/4 of the way through and stop. Check to see your cuts depth is fairly consistent across the span.

Step 4) take the tile, face up and place a dowel directly under and paralell with the cut. Anchor one side with your palm and tap the other side with a rubber mallet or something similar. I just knocked it with the palm of my other hand. It should break nicely. Now carefully clean up the ragged edge with the grinder.

Step 5) Dry fit the piece. Do yourself a favor and put a piece of tape across the back of the tile leaving a few inches hanging out the front in case your piece fits too tightly, you'll be able to pull it back out. You do NOT wanna get it almost seated and find you can't get it out! During the dry fitting I recommend using painters tape over the cut edge to minimize scratching of your stove. Once it fits it's time for the last step.

Step 6) Get all the dust off the back of your tile. Get some high temp silicone. I used the clear stuff used to seal pipe joints. Its rated to 500° or something like that. Put 5-6 smallish blobs on the back of the tile and set it in place with the cut edge at the top. Now rig something up to hold it there for a day or so. That's it!

Total cost...$5 for the tile and about 15 min work. The P series stoves don't exactly have the sexy lines of the XXV or similar stoves. IMO, going full out on the Harman dress up kit is like blinging out an M-65 Abrams tank. The P series has the workhorse look and this addition helps to incorporate it into its location a bit better in a subtle way.

My long winded directions may make you think its a PITA but its simple.

I am not responsible for any damages to you or your stove during or after the completion of this project. If your tile shatters like a claymore mine spraying shrapnel into the room, it ain't my fault. I don't think Harman uses any special slate for their product. I used granite which is very stable AFAIK. Been on there a week and is holding out just fine.

Attachments

• rsz_2012-03-12_14-17-52_231.jpg
    rsz_2012-03-12_14-17-52_231.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 842
Oh yeah. Duh!

Hey P38X2, how does the 2004 P38 compare to the 2012 model ? Burning, ash, fan and auger noise, etc.. Like your tile idea..

Pic in original post.

Hold on gfreek. At a birthday party. Ill get back to you.

Thanks, Smoke Show and Gfreek.

Gfreek, my new P38 has the new 3 knob setup which im still getting used to. Just started experimenting with "room mode" today. I think I'm gonna like it though. The last week the outside temperature has been all over the place so I find myself shutting the stove off during the day and not getting to fiddle around with it. Oh well, I guess ill save on oil and pellets. I live in a 2400 sq' colonial and its had no problem whatsoever keeping the house warm on the few 20° nights we've had since it was installed. Aside from the ash pan and controls, the newer one is pretty much identical to the old one. The motors are a bit quieter on the new one, particularly the auger motor. The old one has original everything so its tuff to tell if when it was new, it was just as quiet. I can't tell the difference in the burn between the two.

If you dont have, or are not capable of using grinder home depot and lowes will cut tile for you w/ a wet saw. I think it is free for the the first so many pieces or it may be $1.

Good point, rickwai. If any of you guys do choose that route and you happen to be using a ceramic tile instead of stone, its possible HD, or whoever, will use a carbide type "score and snap" tile cutter and I'd suggest having them cut the 6" measurement slightly light ...say 5 15/16". That's why I said mark it dead nuts at 6" and don't worry about the blade kerf if you're using a saw. At least in my particular case, that loss of material worked out nicely. You don't want to have to make two trips to the store.....although its a good excuse to grab some pellets if there's a good deal :coolsmile:

As stated in e-mail to me

"For walk-in retail customers, the cost of a stove tile is $125. However, if you are writing in from out-of-state because you were referred to us by a Harman dealership in your area, we offer a 20% discount off that price. Therefore, your price would be as follows:

$125-Deer 3 stove tile
- $25 -20% out-of-state referral discount
--------------
$100 subtotal
+ $13.50 shipping by U.S. Postal Priority Mail
---------------
$113.50 TOTAL"

Reactions: newbieinCT
Status
Not open for further replies.