Harman P38 Convection Blower...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mjbrown

Feeling the Heat
Jan 15, 2008
Hartland,Me.
Hi guys...

my P38 has started singing the blues this weekend. the convection(room air) blower is making that dreaded racket. i shut down the stove, removed the blower, cleaned the fins, and oiled the motor with some mystery oil. turning the motor by hand gave no noise,and there didnt seem to be much back and forth play in it, so i thought "great" and put everything back together and re-fired the stove. as soon as the temp was up and the blower kicked on ...there it was again,noisy as all get out.

all i remember from looking at the blower was that its a dayton blower, and never thought to look at the tag or write any of the info down. i suppose i could tear it down again to look, but was hoping someone here might have it, and possibly a source for lesser expensive parts? my stove is beyond warranty, therefore i do my own repairs, and am mechaniccally inclined enough to do so.

the stove is working and throwing great heat for now, but for how long i dont know, and would like to get another blower , so as to be ready when the death occurs, or sooner if it gets so noisy i cant stand it. i am wondering if there is a cross ref. number i can use, and a cheaper source other than going through my local dealer.

thank in advance,

mike

mj,

Cheapest thing to do is replace the bearings. You will need to take it apart to get the numbers off the bearings, While you have it out and apart use a syringe to squirt oil past the seals. Use a tiny screw driver to lift the seal lip and the inject some oil. This will get you through until the bearings come in.

While you got it out post the numbers and I will see what I can find for blower replacement. I tried to get peeps to post the info but they just don't bother to! So I got nada for info!

J,

thank you for the response. i will remove the blower and get the info for you tomorrow(day off , and my b-day). also, thinking i may take a ride to the dealer and see how much an oem blower is. either way i will get all the blower info for you.thanx again,
mike

Still under warranty?
Our blower went bad in the first 3 months.
Dealer replaced it.
Ours is a Dayton blower also.

lessoil said:
Still under warranty?
Our blower went bad in the first 3 months.
Dealer replaced it.
Ours is a Dayton blower also.

lessoil...nope warranty is about 2 yrs gone now. i'm on my own with this one.

j-takeman said:
mj,

Cheapest thing to do is replace the bearings. You will need to take it apart to get the numbers off the bearings, While you have it out and apart use a syringe to squirt oil past the seals. Use a tiny screw driver to lift the seal lip and the inject some oil. This will get you through until the bearings come in.

While you got it out post the numbers and I will see what I can find for blower replacement. I tried to get peeps to post the info but they just don't bother to! So I got nada for info!

j, i took the side panel off and this is what i found....

Dayton Blower
Ser. 27U U
115V 60/50 HZ 0.8A 40*C AO

hope this is what you were looking for.

thanx
mike

Attachments

• Shaded-Pole-Blower-2C915_AS01.jpg
    Shaded-Pole-Blower-2C915_AS01.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 670
Yup..Cleaning mine tomorrow, I'll look at the number..

well going to have to run the dinosaur heater tonite...the convection blower is so loud we have to yell to hear eachother in the same room...lol. guess i am spending the big bux tomorrow.

J,

strike my last psot to you on the number for the blower.

the blower went to its final resting place a bit ago. i took it off the stove and found the CORRECT tag...

dayton blower

shaded pole
mod. no. 2C647A
hp 1/70
rpm 1500
watts 62
amps0.65
volts115
hz 60/50

i googled dayton blower motors and found www.electricmotorwarehouse.com out of michigan.

after looking through that one site, i found my motor for 81 bux and change...going to check with the dealer tomorrow, and see what his price is,and if he has it in stock. dont want to burn anymore dinosaur than nessecary. thanks for your help and hope these numbers will help you in the future.

Attachments

• 2C646  blower motor for harman pellet stove..jpg
    2C646 blower motor for harman pellet stove..jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 806
thank you very much for your help J !

mike

WELL...are you ready for this? i went to my harman dealer this morning to price a new blower for my stove...$156 and change!!!! i asked "why so much", sales person asked what i meant. i told her i could the exact replacement blower through Grainger out of portland,me for $74 and change! she suggested i go through Grainger...no brainer there. i called grainger, and with shipping it will be at my work either tomorrow or wednesday via ups for $88 and change. i will have the guy at work find the bearings for me, and rebuild this one for a spare.

thanx Harman, but no thanx. the only way i would pay that price today, would be if i had no other heat source and no other choice.

mike

I noted that # on the front of my manual. Let us know how it works out!!

mjbrown65 said:
WELL...are you ready for this? i went to my harman dealer this morning to price a new blower for my stove...$156 and change!!!! i asked "why so much", sales person asked what i meant. i told her i could the exact replacement blower through Grainger out of portland,me for $74 and change! she suggested i go through Grainger...no brainer there. i called grainger, and with shipping it will be at my work either tomorrow or wednesday via ups for $88 and change. i will have the guy at work find the bearings for me, and rebuild this one for a spare.

thanx Harman, but no thanx. the only way i would pay that price today, would be if i had no other heat source and no other choice.

mike

Dealers in general will typically mark parts up 100% of their cost. They need to cover their costs, plus a good profit. And the public generally doesn't know enough to shop around, and if you have the serviceman come to the house, guess which motor he's going to use!

new blower showed up at work 330 pm this afternoon. got home at 4pm, put new blower in the stove,started, and within 15 min had lovely pellet heat...oh how i missed you .... dinosaur heat is ok if its urgent, but nothing beats the nice steady ,constant 70* heat of a pellet stove.

back to running nice and quiet, only had to put 3 female spade connectors on the wires. thank you Grainger and big brown truck!

mike

heat seeker said:
mjbrown65 said:

mike

Dealers in general will typically mark parts up 100% of their cost. They need to cover their costs, plus a good profit. And the public generally doesn't know enough to shop around, and if you have the serviceman come to the house, guess which motor he's going to use!

100%?! no....disinformation there......but, it is imaginable that you are cutting out one markup by going through Grainger.......suppose Grainger buys it from the manufacturer, whereas, harman does the same thing, supposedly paying the same......then, harman sells it to a dealer, where harman will make a profit....the dealer then gets it, has to pay shipping from harman, and also marks it up......I dont know many, if any, dealers who mark fans up "100%"....any dealers care to chime in here?

Good score on the motor though!

mjbrown65, glad it worked out for you & letting us all know. Saved this thread for future reference. Hey what are you using for a thermostat? Read somewhere that P38 takes a special stat..??

mj,

Glad you are toasty again! Next time your back there get the combustion numbers so we can see whats available. Pretty sure the augert motor is 4 RPM and Grainger or Gleason Avery has that.

Nice having options on the spare parts.

j-takeman said:
mj,

Glad you are toasty again! Next time your back there get the combustion numbers so we can see whats available. Pretty sure the augert motor is 4 RPM and Grainger or Gleason Avery has that.

Nice having options on the spare parts.

j,

will do...i have to go back anyhow...i left the tins off for a couple of days to see if everything was going to be okay.

btw...forgot to mention , the dealer gave me a price of $118 from the start, the said "oh, sorry, thats for the combustion blower...the dist. blower is $150.change"

gfreek said:
mjbrown65, glad it worked out for you & letting us all know. Saved this thread for future reference. Hey what are you using for a thermostat? Read somewhere that P38 takes a special stat..??

g,

i am using a Robert Shaw millivolt t-stat on my stove. this i did buy from the dealer when i bought the stove...think i paid around $50 for it. according to the dealer, and millivolt stat for a gas furnace would work, this was just the type they sold...i was new to pellet stoves then. they can probly be had for less money.

the stat is awesome, i set it to 70 , and keep my feed on the stove at 1 1/2 -2. when the stat drops to about 67* the stove kicks into turbo mode until the stat hits 72-73*.

mike

Thanks for the stat info

Status
Not open for further replies.