Harman P43 starting troubles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Maldrich

Nov 22, 2020
RI
I have a 6 year old Harman P43 that is taking 10 to 15 minutes to start this season. Feed rate of 3 but pellets fill to overflowing before a smoky uncontrolled start. I installed a new OEM igniter and both door gaskets but same problem. Same high quality pellets I have ordered for years. Anyone experience exhaust blower gradual failure? Perhaps moist pellets?
Any help will be greatly appreciated!

It may be the new igniter is just weak. Make sure the area under the burn pot around the igniter is clear of ash.

Reactions: Ssyko and tbear853
Restricted exhaust
Restricted intake
Holes above igniter plugged
Igniter cradle installed wrong
Control board problem,try cleaning the pots as described,use search.
These are the most common issues.

I just performed the same cleaning I have done twice a year since new. Stove is acting the same as before the new igniter so perhaps it is a defective igniter.
Can I diag a defective control board and what is meant by “cleaning the pots as described”? Are you referring to the burn pot?
Thanks again!

Clean the potentiometers.Pull the 3 knobs off,spray down the shafts with electrical contact cleaner(stove unplugged) while turning them back and forth.I can think of thousands of times people have sworn their stove/system is clean,then found birds nest in the OAK or flue,or a dead critter. The igniter cradle is easy to install wrong.Clean the burn pot holes with a drill bit.

Reactions: Ssyko
I would clean hopper out and try a different pellet. The OEM igniters are very solid. Very little problem with them.