Harman P61-A Distribution Fan Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophie

Aug 9, 2008
NH
We've been using a Harman P61-A for a few weeks using it in room temperature mode and it's kept the house very comfortable. My only question is that there are times when it seems to run and run but the distribution fan doesn't run to put heat into the room. When this happens the stove itself is hot and there doesn't seem to be a need for additional heat, but if that's the case, why doesn't it just shut off? I sometimes think that we should just run it in stove temperature mode which seems to engage the distribution fan more and then manually shut it off. Tthere are times - usually during the day - when it does shut off for extended periods of time when heat is not needed.

So far i have found that stove temp mode has been much more effecient than room temp mode however the general concensus is the opposite. I dont know if its because its not very cold out and that will change as winter gets closer but so far ive been in stove temp mode most of the time. You have probably seen the sticky in the forum and that explains how the harman operates to a tee. Ive played enough with the stove to learn how to use and it and will now rely on my heat pump until the temps are consistantly below 40 degrees for a high since it is more cost effective to use at mild temperatures.

Are you running your stove on auto or manual? If in manual, the stove will run the distribution fan as needed. It acts more like a wood stove in manual. In auto, the distribution fan runs till the stove stops calling for heat.

Are you running your stove on auto or manual? If in manual, the stove will run the distribution fan as needed. It acts more like a wood stove in manual. In auto, the distribution fan runs till the stove stops calling for heat.

We're running it in automatic - the combustion fan has been operating for awhile now and it keeps feeding a small amount of pellets but the distribution fan hasn't run - but, as I said - additional heat is not needed.

My only question is that there are times when it seems to run and run but the distribution fan doesn't run to put heat into the room. When this happens the stove itself is hot and there doesn't seem to be a need for additional heat, but if that's the case, why doesn't it just shut off?

There are times when the stove will run for extended periods without the distribution fan on. Sometimes the fan will cycle on and off. The stove is doing what it needs to do to maintain set temp. Eventually it may shutdown.

I sometimes think that we should just run it in stove temperature mode which seems to engage the distribution fan more and then manually shut it off.

In stove mode, the distribution fan won't shut down, so it's pretty hard to control temperature. If you left the house for any length of time you run the risk of coming home to a very hot, or very cold house, depending on the time of year and how well you guessed about what temp to set it for.

Status
Not open for further replies.