Harman P61A circuit board replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rex66

Apr 4, 2009
Central NY
Has anyone ever done this? My dealer says it's easy and he has confidence in me. I'd like to be a little more sure by hearing that some other DIYers have completed this with no troubles. If you have done this can you please give a little description.

Thanks!

yup, easy......unplug stove. Take out the two screws holding the circuit board face plate in place, and rotate the face plate and circuit board out of the opening. Pull the knobs off the board. Pop the board off of it's standoffs on the circuit board and unplug all connectors. Get new board, make sure dip switch settings are the same on new board as the old board, plug all connectors in, push board onto the standoffs, rotate assembly back into place, resecure the two screws, and plug in!
The one issue you might have depends on the age of your circuitboard.....the oldest boards had no dip switches......so, ask your dealer to set the switches for you if you have one of those old boards.....

Also, you may need new knobs and shafts, again, depending upon the ago of the board...older boards had a shorter shaft and different knobs.....when the newer ones came out, they pots were placed on the back side of the board, necessitating longer shafts and a new knob, since they switched to a d-head shaft from a star-head.

Thanks Lw. I had actually delved into it already and did find it was very easy. The toughest part was getting the shafts out of the pots because I had no clue how to do it. When I figured that out it was all simple from there.

timjk69...the pots were bad and causing the fan to make a ruckus and have dead spots on the knob. I had a spare board so I replaced it but I am also going to replace the pots so that I still have a spare board.

Thanks for the advice/help as always....this is a great forum.

I had the same problem under warranty on my Advance. Now I seem to be getting a dead spot on the temperature control pot. Pretty much the same problem as the first time around. I wonder about the possibility of some electro wash on the pot? May end up replacing the pot myself.

I thought the pots were pretty well-sealed, but have heard some folks put contact cleaner in them, move the knob a bit back and forth, and it fixes some of the issues......just what I hear

What exactly is a pot?
My XXV had some dead spots on the on/off knob but so far it seems to
be fine again after spraying the knobs with a can of compressed air.

That is where I got mine. I never had occasion to replace one before but I'm pretty good with a soldering iron and it was very easy. Now that I know what they are and which ones I need I bet I could get them at a local electronics store pretty cheap. If that fella is getting $16 or so on ebay I'm sure he's making a nice profit.

I tried the compressed air on my knobs and it seemed to work for a short while but the damn thing woke me up at 4AM this morning so I just decided to change the board and get it over with.

Thanks wil for the link.

So far, the compressed air has done the trick on my stove, but atleast now I know
where to begin should the dead spots come back again.

If anyone has experience with this "dead spot" problem and can share a part number with us for these POTS, please do. I have a Harman Advance that will need to be repaired in the near future.

tinkabranc said:
What exactly is a pot?
My XXV had some dead spots on the on/off knob but so far it seems to
be fine again after spraying the knobs with a can of compressed air.

A "pot" is a potentiometer, or basically an adjustable resistor. It's what your control knobs operate.

If you can post some part numbers? I am sure we could come up with the pots for these boards. You would be surprised how little they actually cost.

I've had great success with electronics cleaner...same stuff I use on the pots on my guitars, think its "gunk out" or something like that.....the label is peeled off.

CRC brand makes an excellent electronics cleaner also. I'm gonna pull my Advance board out in the next week or so and give the pots a blast. I may take the board down to the local Radar Electronics Store and see if they can give me a part and price for future reference, for the pots. I'll let you all know the outcome.

Hi all I am new to this forum and have been having the same issue with my Harman stove. The control knobs have dead spots and the stove operates funky. I also cleaned them out and it worked for a while, but back to the same old dead spots. Has anyone found where to buy them. Harman wants 200 bucks to replace the board. Has anyone had luck with the guy from eBay that sells them?

Thanks

Follow Up: I did buy the pots from that dude on eBay, they are the exact same ones that came with the stove. It took a little help from the wife, but I was able to remove and solder the new ones in. I replaced all 3 because I figured since I was there might as well do all 3. So far so good, the stove works like a champ again.
Screw Harman $200 bucks to replace the whole board. $13 bucks well spent. Here is the link if you guys need them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120645278054&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

If the pot is soldered to the board, you should be using a rework station to insure there is no damage to the board.

Anyone who doesnt have the proper equipment, I can change them out for $5 plus parts and shipping.

Two day turn if I have the part on hand (or you supply).

Aaron

Status
Not open for further replies.