Harman P61A screeching sound...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harman Lover 007

Minister of Fire
Got the call from my 18 year old son this afternoon that the stove was making a screeching sound when the auger ran. Told him to shut it down (it's all in the training, right?) and he did. Having been a member of this forum for just a couple of months and soaking up everything like a sponge, I knew just where to look. I took the side panel off and opened the cover on the side of the auger and whoosh...packed with fines and pellets! I cleaned it out and gave the stove a quick cleaning and I'm off to the races.

Thanks Hearth.com forum

smwilliamson said:
It's a good idea to remove the slide plate if you didn't. Inspect it for burrs on the underside of the metal plate and also make sure the screed holes aren't plugged. Lastly, check for signs of creosote or burn back...if it's all clear...then you're all set.

Thanks for the reply Scott. When you say "slide plate" what do you mean?

Inside that box there is a slide plate that moves back on forth as the feed motor rotates. The slide plate allows pellets to fall when the auger is moving but shuts off oxygen top to the hopper when the feed motor is not "ON". That slide plate comes out. Simply raise the rocker arm which controls it and pull on the plate at the same time and it will slide completely out.

smwilliamson said:
Inside that box there is a slide plate that moves back on forth as the feed motor rotates. The slide plate allows pellets to fall when the auger is moving but shuts off oxygen top to the hopper when the feed motor is not "ON". That slide plate comes out. Simply raise the rocker arm which controls it and pull on the plate at the same time and it will slide completely out.

Thank you, sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.