Harman P68 Ash Drawer Creosote Fire - w/ pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what I spent my day cleaning. Creosote very heavy in the ash drawer. Enough to warp the combustion motor slide plate housing and the ash bin. After pulling the stove apart I was able to find that the creosote was heavily caked on the exhaust port out as well as in the exterior vent pipe up all the way out 7 feet in vertical height. Customer called and was having trouble getting the fire to light and stay lit. At the job site I found that the igniter light was not lighting up and the stove would not ignite on it's own. Quick test to the igniter wires...no juice. Quick test to the igniter itself, got hot. Diagnosis on the igniter....bad ESP probe. Replaced it.

This homeowner bought the stove locally but installed it himself. Not a bad install but he never got the one on one set up training.

The stove had been cleaned periodically, but never had a full clean in 5 years. Stove burned more than 7 tons altogether.

Creosote was removed using a sharp glazing knife and some warm water. After putting the stove all back together and removing all creosote from the stove and vents...she ran like a dream.

I ran the stove on full heat for 2 hrs to burn off any other residue. Shut her down. Good to go.

Attachments

• Harman P68 - Ash Drawer Creosote.jpg
    Harman P68 - Ash Drawer Creosote.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 1,206
Interesting . . . .

In your opinion, what caused creosote to form to that extent. More than poor maintenance?

Must have had poor burning for some time?

Any link to type or brand of pellets used?

Thanks,

Ranger

Well, he has not had the igniter working for some time, seeing that the ESP was the culprit I'm guessing the the stove was not reading temp levels very well. Too much air and not enough heat led to the creosote which collected for a number years. He also never cleaned the system out below the burn pot. These little machine are resilient though.

Pellets were are clean bag that said premium wood pellet, made in Canada. Nothing else. They looked preety bad, all busted up and TONS of fines.

smwilliamson said:
......but never had a full clean in 5 years. Stove burned more than 7 tons altogether.....

So much for preventative maintenance.
IMO pellet stoves need a full cleaning atleast once a year to keep them running at full potential.
Sure the ESP can go anytime, but it takes longer to notice any problems if the stove is neglected.

smwilliamson,

Keep a link to this post handy for when people need a reminder about cleaning their stove.

We frequently get a bit (sometimes a lot) of grief when we push the did you clean that stove button.

At least the manual that came with my stove makes a point about cleaning.

SmokeyTheBear said:
........We frequently get a bit (sometimes a lot) of grief when we push the did you clean that stove button.........

You got that right Smokey.....this is one of those people that will get very defensive and tell us that "I clean the stove all the time!!!!!"

The home owner made no claims to have ever cleaned the stove well. For all of those who think they can just keep urning and everything will be alright...this stove cost $400 to get it back to the living. Even with the service, there were things I couldn't clean 100%. If I could have, I would have removed the impeller and replaced it....that would have cost another $200

In the end, he has a stove that is 90% back to new. The remaining creosote will eventually burn off...hopefully.

Not cleaning the stove yearly is not the way to go through life with a stove. I have seen some so bad that when I opened the door, i could see my reflection in the creosote. The owner NEVER cleaned the stove in 12 years. There was 2" of creosote in the the entire stove to include the stove pipe. I was surprised the house was still standing.

lotsa fines + no cleaning = this.

Status
Not open for further replies.