Harman P68 Auger motor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ewstancel

Jan 10, 2011
South of Atlanta
OK. I had a P61A and loved it. Moved south and bought a P68. It was a little louder. This is it's second winter. Christmas night the auger quit turning. After all the trouble shooting (including voltage readings with the help of my father a retired electrician), I determined the motor was bad. The auger spins freely and nothing seems to be binding. Local guy came out and was excited because it was the first Harman he had ever serviced...
He agreed with my findings that the motor was bad and ordered me a new one on waranty. It came and I installed it. The stove ran great...for about 1 week. Now the gleason avery motor (6RPM Clockwise) stalls about once every 6 starts. When the feed motor indicator light comes one, the motor will run fine sometimes, and stall at other times. I found that if i just barely rotate the plastic cooling fan, it runs fine. There seems to be a point in the motor's rotation where there is some tension and it is just enough to keep the motor from operating.

Any ideas?

could be a spot of something in the gearbox, could be a loose wire somewhere down the line.

be easy when you take it apart... don't want the gears to go flyin all over! Once you get the screws out, you may have to rap the side w/ a hammer to open the casing... just an easy rap!

I would not be tearing a brand new motor apart? Best bet would be to have the dealer replace it at n/c.

so...last night took the motor apart from the gearbox. The gearbox rotated freely. I noticed that when I turned the rotor in the stator that it was rubbing slightly. I pulled the rotor out and held the bracket while spinning the rotor. Turns out the shaft was bent. Taking a chance I pulled the rotor from my old motor that was replaced. I bolted it in the new stator and reattached it to the gear box. The stove has been working perfect for about 10 hours now.
Thanks for everyone's help.

Status
Not open for further replies.