Harman P68 - Lazy, very dirty flame, smoke coming from vent, lots of unburned pellets.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrib

Feb 9, 2009
NW Indiana
Hey all... Haven't been spending a lot of time at home (too busy at work), but I've been noticing over the last few weeks, my Harman P68 has been acting a bit weird. No settings have been changed on the stove, feed rate, low draft settings, etc.

I cleaned it, probably a month ago. Got everything except the vent to the outside. I cleaned that last year at the close of the heating season.

The flame has become extremely lazy. It fills up the entire window, orange and black, not the yellows flame that "dances". Also, the top 1/3 of the window is black after just one night of burning. My wife cleans out the burn pot every night (or I do). Also, last night in particular, there many many unburned pellets being push into the bin below. Finally, there is some sort of a damper for the cold air intake (?), that has been rapidly opening and closing, as we can hear it very audibly.

I am wondering if the vents are plugged up a bit with fly ash and really needs a good cleaning? We haven't gone through more than 2.5 tons this winter and once the fly ash bin fills up, I clean the stove. I do remove the combustion blower cover, take a paint brush to get the ash off the fan. But I figured I could wait until spring to get further past? Maybe not.

Also, I did notice the other night the stove had an error that the ESP sensor was having issue (light was blinking three times). I unplugged the unit, per the manual, plugged it back in and that hasn't come back.

Any thoughts on the issues. Maybe I need to get in a really give it a good scrub?

vent pipe needs a cleaning, especially the screen at the termination.

also check the ESP probe, they get gummed up
wipe it off, acts like insulation
and dont read temp properly
will keep feeding pellets trying to raise stove temp
thats what cleared mine up last time

Scrib said:
summit said:

Screen at the termination?

The end of the venting has a termination cap, usually there is a screen to keep small animals from getting into the venting.

It is common for folks to forget that, over time there is a 100% chance that the screen will become plugged by fly ash.

SmokeyTheBear said:
Scrib said:
summit said:

Screen at the termination?

The end of the venting has a termination cap, usually there is a screen to keep small animals from getting into the venting.

It is common for folks to forget that, over time there is a 100% chance that the screen will become plugged by fly ash.

Doh. :) Ok. I'll give a look at that too.

summit said:

+1. The glass on my P43 started to turn black last week. Flames were dirty orange & lazy...
Went out to look at the cap & sure enough the screen was nearly plugged.
The combustion blower can't get enough air through the entire system to burn the fuel completely.
Incorrect Air-to-Fuel (ATF) ratio = soot...Doesn't matter if you burn gas or pellets or cord wood...
Your BEST bet is to take the screen right out (I did) & re-install it when you're done burning, to keep the critters out...

another happy ending... 95% of the time it's not a stove problem, it's a cleaning issue.

summit said:
another happy ending... 95% of the time it's not a stove problem, it's a cleaning issue.

the other 5% is gremlins......i hate gremlins.

Delta-T said:
summit said:

the other 5% is gremlins......i hate gremlins.

Those that are both fed and watered after midnight are the absolute worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.