Harman P68 or Harman XXV?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chain

Feeling the Heat
Stopped into my local Harman dealer last night and ordered a P68. However, I think the wife would prefer the XXV and so I thought I'd ask the most informed folks I know what their thoughts were on these two stoves. Both are of adequate size to heat my 1800 Sq. ft. open floor plan ranch and so am just curious if anyone might have owned both and prefer one over the other. Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have a few days to change my mind as the dealer won't be placing the order for a couple of weeks. Thanks....

P68 seems like overkill for what youre heating. its an absolute blast furnace and really isnt in the same league as the xxv. P61 would be more comparable and even the advance would probably even be adequate

With the winters we typically get up here in upstate, NY, a blast furnace isn't a bad thing. I was leaning toward the P61 but thought why not have the extra heat capacity for only a few hundred bucks more? Any more specific thoughts on the XXV? I'm coming around more to the looks of the XXV but am not sure if it's quality is as good as the "P" line? Thoughts?

Aesthetics good heat and warm to the touch...XXV
More heat and easier to clean and work on but very hot to the touch... P68

I have the P68, my GF has the XXV. I have deep cleaned both. The XXV heats the upper floor of a split level just fine in Maine. The P68 heats my cape from the basement up just fine as well.

Wont go wrong with either one.

If your house is at all cold/drafty I'd go with the higher BTUs. We installed an XXV in the keeping room of an antique cape this winter and even with the mild temps it just can't keep up on its own - we need the woodstove as well. If you're well insulated, disregard. :)

Chain said:
Have they both been reliable? So the XXV is a bit more of a pain to clean, eh?

Both have been problem free (2009 install on P68, 2010 install on XXV). The P68 doesnt have the cast iron to take apart to get to the inner workings, it is more a few sheet metal covers and most everything is accessible. P68 has a larger ash pan, can go 1-1.25 ton without emptying. P68's firebox and burn-pot are larger making it easier to get inside there and clean. P68 is easier to load pellets into and has a larger hopper.

Dont get me wrong, the XXV is no slouch or all that bad to work on. Just that the P68 is easier IMHO, but it does look like a toilet bowl :lol:

Thanks for the feedback. I probably should show the XXV to the wife as I think she'd like it better. As they say, happy wife, happy life. Still, there's a lot to be said about easier cleaning. Especially since as I get older, I seem to have less patience for too much inconvenience and bending over. Tough decision, picking out a new stove....

Chain said:
Thanks for the feedback. I probably should show the XXV to the wife as I think she'd like it better. As they say, happy wife, happy life. Still, there's a lot to be said about easier cleaning. Especially since as I get older, I seem to have less patience for too much inconvenience and bending over. Tough decision, picking out a new stove....

Happy Wife, Happy Life for sure! I think I see an XXV in your future !!!
Enjoy the heat and you must post pics once it is installed, or it did not happen :)

edit: the XXV is quieter than the P68, if that matters

gbreda said:
Chain said:
Have they both been reliable? So the XXV is a bit more of a pain to clean, eh?

Both have been problem free (2009 install on P68, 2010 install on XXV). The P68 doesnt have the cast iron to take apart to get to the inner workings, it is more a few sheet metal covers and most everything is accessible. P68 has a larger ash pan, can go 1-1.25 ton without emptying. P68's firebox and burn-pot are larger making it easier to get inside there and clean. P68 is easier to load pellets into and has a larger hopper.

Dont get me wrong, the XXV is no slouch or all that bad to work on. Just that the P68 is easier IMHO, but it does look like a toilet bowl :lol:

I don't understand the removal of the cast pieces statement, can you elaborate?

XXV Like most Harman's are a breeze to service. Shut it down once a week brush out the inside, clean the pot and you are off and running for another week, takes 20 minutes or 30 minutes if you're OCD like me.

The selling point for me on the XXV was the looks and the even heat from the cast iron (even though most of the heat is distributed by the blower). For me, it's like a piece of furniture with a pay back.

Also, keep in mind that these stoves run more efficiently at hotter heat settings so buying a stove that is too big could force it to run at lower than ideal temperatures for efficiency.

After you buy the stove, read the links in my signature for lots of tips on how to best use your Harman.

It's a no brainer.

6944509671_eee1fe11e4_b.jpg

I like the looks of the XXV, but I needed the extra oomph so I got a P61A.
One thing you'll notice, is that the XXV is a lot more quiet than the P-series
Harmans... All that cast iron seems to act as a sound dampener...

Tough decision, I have had both stoves, currently completing first year on a XXV, and I love it.

I don't understand the removal of the cast pieces statement, can you elaborate?
Regarding the cast iron parts, I havnt cleaned the XXV since 2010 and did not have to remove anything at that point. She has cleaned and maintained the stove since then. But I remember a Harmon dealer telling me that some have to come off for servicing. Now that I think of it, she was looking at the Accentra as well, so maybe it was that stove and not the XXV. My bad if that is the case.

XXV Like most Harman's are a breeze to service. Shut it down once a week brush out the inside, clean the pot and you are off and running for another week, takes 20 minutes or 30 minutes if you're OCD like me.

True, the XXV is not bad for cleaning and maintaining, just that the P68 is little easier in my opinion (and hers). Mid winter, I can go 2-3 weeks running 24/7 without a shutdown (using my good, cleaner burning pellets, not shoulder pellets)

As all here have said, you cant go wrong with either stove. The XXV is definitely quieter and more pleasing to look at. My GF's XXV is in the living room. If I were to put into a living space and didnt need the extra BTU for 3 floors, I would go for either the XXV or Accentra. I actually would like to add a second smaller stove on the first floor to really even things out, but $$ is in the way of that.

Good luck and let us know how it all works out !!

I dont agree. I feel the P68 is easier to clean, overall. Just go ahead and clean the distribution fan of both.......then tell me whats easier! As for stove choice, either one, but the P68 might be a better choice when its really cold out, for its increased capacity!

Wanted to go for a P model but wife saw the XXV and fell in love with it. So far no complaints. Scrape ashes off burn pot twice a day. Good cleaning once a week and the leaf blower trick about once a month.
Chuck

well, the better half has to be happy too! I still think the p68 edges it out, buuuuut, if she's happy we are all happy!

I showed the wife the picture from the Harman website of the XXV and P68 and she didn't care either way. After having read some of the replies, I'm now thinking the P61 is more appropriate for my needs. As I said in my initial post, I was actually thinking P61 anyway until I considered that it was just a few hundred bucks more for the P68. Thing is, as a was suggested in this thread, the P68 may be overkill and never burn really efficiently given my house is only about 1800 sq. feet. But that XXV in red enamel sure is pretty. And apparently more quiet too. Since this will be placed in the living room and near the tv and stereo, sound is an issue. Decisions, decisions.....My instinct tells me a P61A is the right choice.

yea, the XXV is marginally quieter than the P61-A, but the price is less for the 61, considerably less than the Majolica unit. I heat 2000 square feet with a old P61, have for 11 years now.....havent looked back.....as for noise, eh, no biggie for me.....becomes a soothing background noise after a day or so...."ah.....the melodious sounds of my pellet stove keeping my place warm...."

I showed the wife the picture from the Harman website of the XXV and P68 and she didn't care either way. After having read some of the replies, I'm now thinking the P61 is more appropriate for my needs. As I said in my initial post, I was actually thinking P61 anyway until I considered that it was just a few hundred bucks more for the P68. Thing is, as a was suggested in this thread, the P68 may be overkill and never burn really efficiently given my house is only about 1800 sq. feet. But that XXV in red enamel sure is pretty. And apparently more quiet too. Since this will be placed in the living room and near the tv and stereo, sound is an issue. Decisions, decisions.....My instinct tells me a P61A is the right choice.

My wife didn't care about the looks between the P61A and the XXV either. I consider ease of cleaning to be important. My P61A even on the coldest of nights seems to stay in maint. burn for quite a while. I run in room temp manual. I am glad I didn't buy the P68.

Just called the dealer and changed my order. Decided on the P61A with Nickel finish.......I'm told it'll be in at the end of the month. My plan is to redo the goofy hearth set-up I have now around the first week or so of April and the dealer will install whenever that's ready. Now, what to do with the Lopi Foxfire it's replacing? Moth ball it in the basement for future needs, perhaps?

Just called the dealer and changed my order. Decided on the P61A with Nickel finish.......I'm told it'll be in at the end of the month. My plan is to redo the goofy hearth set-up I have now around the first week or so of April and the dealer will install whenever that's ready. Now, what to do with the Lopi Foxfire it's replacing? Moth ball it in the basement for future needs, perhaps?

Craig's List the thing!

Craig's List the thing!
LW, is that you?
Do you do house calls in NH? I am having trouble with my blowers and the pipes need a good cleaning... Yeah, that's it

LW, is that you?
Do you do house calls in NH? I am having trouble with my blowers and the pipes need a good cleaning... Yeah, that's it

hey, it was college and I needed the money! I claim a mulligan on the avatar! Actually no, I didnt notice the gal under that Stetson....just liked the hat! Ive also a big tunnel to sell you in Boston...makes a quick trip to Logan easier!

hey, it was college and I needed the money! I claim a mulligan on the avatar! Actually no, I didnt notice the gal under that Stetson....just liked the hat! Ive also a big tunnel to sell you in Boston...makes a quick trip to Logan easier!

Nice hat ;)

Sorry LW, I'm from Boston and know how that all works. By the way is it the tunnel that comes out in the North End or the new one that drops cement ceiling tiles on your head and leaks water? It might affect my price willing to pay

Status
Not open for further replies.