Harman P68

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Geochurchi

Nov 13, 2012
Hi, I have had this stove for 2 years and just noticed the other day that when it starts up there is sootie smoke coming out of the flue which I don't recall seeing before,any thoughts? The only thing different is that I have switched the brand of pellets to Maine's Choice not sure if that should make a difference.

Thanks

Hi, I have had this stove for 2 years and just noticed the other day that when it starts up there is sootie smoke coming out of the flue which I don't recall seeing before,any thoughts? The only thing different is that I have switched the brand of pellets to Maine's Choice not sure if that should make a difference.

Thanks

A different brand of pellet can do what you are describing. You may need to adjust the settings on your stove to provide more air to the mix. When was the last time this stove and pipe was COMPLETELY cleaned?

please forgive me for saying so, but Im leaning towards the cleaning thing too....what are your settings?

The stove was cleaned when I shut it down in the spring, I like the thought about the air fuel mixture but I can not see how to make an adjustment in the owners manual. Can anyone advise?

some smoke at start-up is not completely abnormal, and certainly could just be pellet related...no real adjustement on your stove for fuel/air ratio....except the white pot on the control board face that adjusts voltage to the combustion blower, though I doubt it will have very much effect. I'd suggest a dirty igniter or exhaust pipe as the most common thing to cause what you describe.

Try a different pellet and see if it goes away. You very likely aren't going to be happy with the ash of those MC's. Decent heat but dirty.

How's the burn look when she's up and running?

There are no adjustments to be made to a Harman by the lay person unless you are lucky enough to have the Harman Diagnostic tool. It's probably the pellet.

I have a Harman 68 also, this is my 5th year. When they start up and just catching they do smoke. It sounds normal to me.

Tom C.

The more I think about it it probably is the pellets Because I switched this year they seem to burn good I did have few bags of inferno which I liked I never noticed if they smoked or not,burning the MC I just happened to be working by the vent and noticed the smoke so I really don't know if it is something new or not.

There are no adjustments to be made to a Harman by the lay person unless you are lucky enough to have the Harman Diagnostic tool. It's probably the pellet.

Thank you. I was wondering is someone was going to say this.

Status
Not open for further replies.