Harman PF100 vs St Croix Revolution

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rph092772

Oct 31, 2010
Southern VT
Upon the advice of the more experienced members here, I am giving some serious consideration to the St Croix Revolution furnace. It'd be great to hear from some owners of both on whatever angle,good or bad, about both products. Other things I'd like to know is how long you've had your unit, how long routine cleaning takes, pellet consumption etc. Another item for Revolution owners, any issues with the rotating burnpot? didnt know thats where the units get their name (apparently)!! Isnt that just another possible breakdown point or is it a performance enhancer by almost always having a clean burn pot?

To answer the usual questions, I have a 1900 sq ft log cabin that is in the process of getting tightened up. Been doing the DYI items myself but am having a small local company tackle some of the bigger ticket items. I am currently using a Whitfield Profile 20 FS unit in the living room. Does great in there as the main floor is mostly open but I have cathedral ceilings (i say im heating cu ft not sq ft!!) and have some new pets that are requiring better heating that a central unit can provide.

Thanks for any info you can provide!!

Craig

Going into the third season with the Rev, daily maint. is about 3 minutes, push/pull the scraper 3-4 times, open the door and wipe the glass, open the hopper and dump a bag or 2 of pellets. Weekly I pick the weekend day that's supposed to be warmer/sunnier, turn it off around 9 in the morning, wait 2 hours, dump the ash pan, vac it all out with the Rigid shopvac, takes about a half hour to pull the baffle plate, ash trap covers, put it all back together and fire it back up. Only problem I've had with the burnpot was at the start of last season, needed a pair of pliers to help the first couple turns, this year I oiled it in the spring and had no probs. Can't speak for the Harman, I did hear rumbles about warping burnpots, but don't know.

I have the PB 105 which is the boiler version of the PF 100. Daily maintenance takes about 30 seconds to pull the tube scrapers and once a month I turn it off to clean the burn pot and empty the ash pan. This is my 3rd season with it and I am very happy with it.

I have been running a PF100 for about 3 years. I like the even heat.

The burn pot does have issues but I have heard from wil and my dealer that Harmon has a new stainless steel burn pot that may fix the problem.

Some nice features are: the pellet hopper holds 4ea 40lb bags. The ash pan is huge; I only need to empty it once a year. It will not burn corn but will burn different types of pellets and low grade pellets. The room thermostat keeps the house heat more even than my oil furnace. More comfortable heat too.
You can check out the manual here: http://www.hearthnhome.com/downloads/installManuals/PF100.pdf
Try searching for old threads about the St Croix Revolution and Harmon PF100 issues.

I do the full clean on the pellet furnace and the vent pipe after every ton of pellets burned; takes about 2.5 hours. I could let it go longer but I like to keep the burn efficiency high. Takes about a minute to scrape the burn pot. But the access door to it faces the side of the burn pot so it is difficult to look down into it. I have to use a mirror and flashlight. Kind of inconvenient but it works.
I suppose it is like other pellet burners taking more attention and maintenance than the other types of furnaces. Oil, Electric, Propane etc.

Because of the heat loss in the sheet metal ducts, the wonderful heat distribution through out the house, and the 85,000-112,00 BTU output you will burn more pellets than a pellet stove heating at one point in the house. I have a similar sq ft. and poor insulation as you and I burn 5-6 tons a year.

Hope this helps. Good Luck

Vtpelleter:
This is my third year of burning in the PF100. My son and I got our unites at the same time.
There has been talk about the burnpots having bubbles, but my son and I have not had that problem.
We have been trying to figure out why; dont know if luck has anything to do with it.
I do a good clean once a month, use to do the vent, but seems to be a waste of time. Did it twice last
year, checked it before clean and after clean. Only going to do it at the end of the season.
Have newer 4000+ sq ft, catheradal ceilings in kitchen, living room and master bedroom. I do face
south, so it can be zero, and if it is a sunny day, have to turn the termo down. I have a house of very large windows.
Have a lot of light all the time also, even in cloudy days.
Keep it on manual after starting it in auto, and acts like a pilot, but puts out a nice amount of heat.
Use the PF100, 100% of the time....only use the propane furnace early in fall and late in spring when it doesn't
pay to put the pellet stove on. I go through 6/7 ton of pellets.

Status
Not open for further replies.